Biology Program Mission & Goals
Mission of the Biology Department
The mission of the Biology Department at St. John Fisher College is to provide a foundation in the biological sciences for biology majors, students in other departments whose degree requirements include biology, and students who utilize biology to satisfy elements of the College Core.
Within the context of a liberal arts education, and with strong emphasis on hands-on experience and personalized instruction, the Biology Department seeks to help all students think and analyze the world from a biological perspective.
We prepare students for graduate studies in the natural sciences and health professions and/or a wide variety of careers in industry, business, and the public sector.
Goals of the Biology Department
Biology majors will . . .
- Achieve basic proficiency in biology through exposure to all the areas of fundamental importance to the field
- Be competent in a laboratory setting
- Be aware of, qualified, and prepared for careers and graduate studies in the natural sciences, applied sciences, or professional programs
- Think critically and be intellectually flexible
- Be effective communicators