Media and Communication Internships
Internships offer a proven and effective method to prepare for a career in media.
When you pursue an internship, you gain real-world experience in the field of your choice: strategic communications; social media marketing; advertising; video production; web or video game design; or broadcast, print or online journalism. Our internship experiences are designed to give you the best possible exposure to a career.
You'll have an opportunity to experience the day-to-day operations of a career you are considering, add a meaningful line to your resume, and create work samples for your portfolio.
The demand for Fisher interns outstrips the number of students who participate in the internship program each semester, giving you a wide array of quality positions to choose from.
Although major Rochester media organizations routinely sponsor Fisher students, you also may opt to compete for an internship at a national media outlet.
You may also combine study abroad with a media internship.
For more information, contact Dr. Lauren Vicker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enrolled as a major in media and communication, media management, or digital cultures and technologies
- Junior or senior status
- Transfer students must wait until their second semester at Fisher to complete an internship
- Students must have a 2.75 GPA, although they may petition with a GPA above 2.5
- Students should have completed some advanced work in the area that they plan to pursue the internship
- Students may complete up to two three-credit internships for credit towards the major and towards the 120 credits required to graduate.
- Students may choose to enroll in a 1-credit or 3-credit internship. The requirements and expectations are the same. (1-credit internships do not count towards the two internship limit.)
- Students may apply for a competitive tuition waiver for summer internships. Strict deadlines apply.
Sample Media and Communication Internships
A partial list of the internship opportunities available include:
- Dixon Schwabl Advertising, Inc.
- partners + napier
- Roberts Communications
- Tipping Point Communications
- DeBergerac Productions
- 13 WHAM News
- WHEC-TV (News10 NBC)
- YNN Rochester
- Rochester Fringe Festival
- Strong Museum of Play
- American Red Cross
- Causewave Community Partners
- Highland Hospital
- Pluta Cancer Center
- Seneca Park Zoo Society
- Messenger Post Newspapers
- Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
- Rochester Business Journal
- Next Step Magazine
- Clear Channel Radio
- Jazz 90.1 WGMC
- WHTK 1280
- United Way of Greater Rochester
- Bausch & Lomb
- Toshiba Business Solutions