Why Study Criminology at Fisher?
Fisher's new criminology major is for you if you are interested in crime and the law, or if you are considering a career in law enforcement or the criminal justice system.
Some of the topics you will study include:
- Crime and its causes
- Social policies related to crime
- Criminal law
- Origins and ongoing development of the U.S. justice system
- Comparisons of criminal justice systems across societies and cultures
The criminology major addresses a broad range of issues pertaining to the social and historical origins of criminal activities, the means of policing and punishing persons engaged in criminal activities, and the laws and legal institutions directing the criminal justice system.
Criminology coursework will help you develop your writing, research, and critical thinking skills while you make use of a vast body of literature that has emerged over the past four decades.
Careers in Criminal Justice
If you are interested in a career in law enforcement, the criminology major will ground you in a deep appreciation for the complexity and nuance of work within the criminal justice system.
At the same time, you will be exposed to the breadth of options and careers beyond law enforcement across the criminal justice system through internship opportunities and alumni connections.
Opportunities in for work with a degree in criminology include:
- Community and institutional corrections (including probation, parole, jails, and prisons)
- Crime prevention-related activities (i.e. delinquency prevention, substance abuse treatment, mentorship programs, etc.)
- Working with special populations in the criminal justice system (i.e. youth, women, mentally-challenged individuals, etc.)
- Crime analysis
- Program and policy development
- Crime control evaluation activities
Advanced Studies in Criminology
If you are interested in advanced studies in criminology, this major will provide a strong foundation for pursuing graduate work and/or entering the policy arena with respect to crime, law, and the criminal justice system.
Study the intersection of law, crime, and culture with Fisher's new Criminology major.