Legal Studies Requirements
Note: The most current legal studies program requirements can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Legal Studies Major
The legal studies major is a 12 course (36 credit hour) major* consisting of 8 required courses and 4 electives.
- ECON 250 - Law and Economics
- ENGL 271 - Introduction to Legal Writing
- POSC 210 - P3 Law, Politics, and Society
- POSC 212 - Legal Research and Analysis
- POSC 252 - Theories of Law -OR-
PHIL 260C - P3 The Philosophy of Law
- POSC 332 - Con Law I: Government Powers -OR-
POSC 333 - Con Law II: Civil Liberties - Civil Rights -OR-
POSC 398 - Special Topics in Legal Studies
- POSC 355 - Issues in Lawyering
- POSC 495 - Legal Studies Internship
The legal studies major requires four electives chosen from a variety of courses offered in departments such as anthropology, economics, political science, religious studies, sociology, and sport management. For a listing of elective courses, refer to the legal studies section of the Undergraduate Catalog.
*You must also declare a second major.
Legal Studies Minor
Because Legal Studies is a “second major only” option, no minor in Legal Studies is available.
If you feel you are not able to complete a second major and the LEST major but nevertheless are interested in law, please consult with your principal academic advisor and the program director of Legal Studies.