Sport Management Internships and Practicum
A critical component of the Sport Management curriculum is the experiential learning opportunities offered through practicum and internship courses. Fisher’s Sport Management program has a dedicated staff member whose primary responsibility it is to assist you with pairing your interests with the vast practical opportunities available throughout the sport industry.
Sport Management requirements include a 120-hour practical experience in your junior year and a 400-hour opportunity during your senior year. Practicum and internship credits allow you to learn more effectively by applying classroom theory to real work experience. These courses also provide continuous feedback on the academic training you receive throughout the program.
Various on-campus internship opportunities for Sport Management majors include the Athletic Business Office, Student Life Center, Growney Stadium, Media Relations, Intramurals, and The Cardinal Courier (campus newspaper). In addition, the College’s location provides a unique opportunity for valuable internship experiences off-campus. Numerous opportunities exist in the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas. In Rochester alone, a number of minor league sport teams exist offering potential internship experiences in soccer, baseball, ice hockey, and indoor/outdoor lacrosse. Beyond professional sport, past students have garnered experiences with private high schools athletic departments; not-for profit organizations like the Monroe County Sports Commission and Boys’ And Girls’ Club; as well as municipal recreation departments in the region. In addition to the varied experiences available within the Rochester area, St. John Fisher College serves as the site of the Buffalo Bills’ preseason summer training camp.
Below is a partial list of placements Sport Management majors have participated in:
- United States Olympic Training Center, Lake Placid
- Phoenix Coyotes, National Hockey League
- Monroe County Sports Commission
- 85th PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club
- Arena Football League Office, Chicago, IL
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America
- Syracuse University Athletic Department
- Rochester Americans, American Hockey League
- Buffalo Bills, National Football League
- Monroe County Special Olympics
- Brighton Parks and Recreation Department
- Mid-town Athletic Club
- Total Sports Experience, Facility Management, Rochester, NY
- The Golf Channel
- American Junior Golf Association
- Madison Square Garden
- Florida Marlins, Major League Baseball
- WHAM-TV Sports department
- Delaware North Company
- Eastside YMCA
- Cleveland Cavaliers, National Basketball League
- Turning Stone Resort PGA Championship
- Troyer Motor Sports
- Empire State Games - New York
- Disney Hilton Head Resort
- Canisius College Athletic Department
Ally Pawarski '12
Being a Sport Management major, I can say that I've gained an abundance of knowledge and experience that will, without doubt, lead to my dreams becoming a reality.
Each time I stop to reflect on my progress, I'm so thankful that I chose to pursue my education at St. John Fisher College. Fisher has allowed me an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the sport industry as well as develop positive relationships with professors, industry professionals and peers alike.