M.S. in Special Education Mission & Learning Outcomes
The mission of the Special Education Program is to provide a quality educational experience that prepares candidates for distinguished careers in Special Education, including leadership roles in schools and communities. The program develops the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that special educators need in order to effectively teach all students, including those with exceptional learning needs.
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of the philosophical, historical, pedagogical, and legal foundations of special education to organize and design instruction.
- Use knowledge of human development to appreciate and address learning differences.
- Use a variety of approaches, including technology, to help students increase their understanding and command of essential knowledge and skills.
- Model communication skills to help students access, comprehend, and apply information, as well as to acquire knowledge and develop and maintain interpersonal relationships.
- Create an environment in which fairness and respect for diversity are modeled, taught, and practiced to ensure quality learning opportunities for all students.
- Utilize a core body of knowledge in the disciplines to establish curricular goals, design instruction, facilitate student learning, and assess student progress.
- Develop a sense of efficacy and independence in students to develop their character, sense of civic and social responsibility, respect for diverse individuals and groups, and the ability to work constructively and collaboratively with others.
- Design and select a variety of assessment strategies to obtain meaningful and timely information about student learning and development and to help students reflect on their own progress.
- Work collaboratively with parents, guardians, and other caregivers to set and achieve educational goals for their children.
- Provide leadership and work collaboratively with colleagues and others to improve schools and advance knowledge, policy, and practice in the field.
- Reflect, evaluate, and strengthen the quality of professional practice.