Special Education Advanced Certification (Grades 1-6)
This program prepares teachers who have completed the master's degree requirement and are pursuing certification to teach students with disabilities in grades 1 - 6. (18 credits)
Special Education Advanced Certification Requirements (Grades 1-6)
Please Note: The Graduate Catalog contains the most current M.S. in Special Education: Childhood program requirements, including course descriptions.
Note: Requires professional or permanent childhood certification.
- GSED 500 - Critical Issues in Inclusive Education (3)
- GSED 501 - Inclusive Education in Today's Schools (3)
- GSED 502 - Methods and Strategies for Teaching Students in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
- GSED 508 - Behavior Management in the Inclusive Classroom: Childhood (3)
- GSED 516 - Assessment, Diagnosis, and Evaluation of Students in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
- GSED 650 - Practicum in Special Education: Childhood (3)
Total: 18 credits
New York State Requirements: Childhood Certificates
Candidates who are seeking the Childhood and Special Education Certificates must have an adequate knowledge base for teaching to the New York State Learning Standards. This includes coursework in humanities; communication; written analysis and expression; history; social sciences; languages other than English (LOTE); scientific process; mathematical process; health; physical education; family and consumer sciences; and artistic expression. Transcripts are reviewed prior to admission to determine adequate preparation for the program. Candidates with inadequate preparation will be required to take additional coursework prior to student teaching.