Undergraduate Clinical Preceptors for NURS 449
(Final Semester Senior Year)
- Welcome to St. John Fisher’s senior nursing student preceptorship.
- Thank you for lending your time and expertise.
- This page and the linked documents will explain the purpose, expectations and paperwork related to this experience.
Clinical Preceptorship Purpose
- The student is expected to follow your schedule.
- 120 hours need to be completed
- The student will fill out this time sheet at your first meeting and submit a copy to their clinical faculty instructor.
- You and the clinical instructor are to be notified of any changes in schedule by the student.
- Preceptor Time Sheet must be signed by the preceptor to verify all hours.
Daily Clinical Log Daily Objectives
- The student is responsible for completing a clinical log of the patients they care for. This will be checked by the clinical faculty.
- The student has daily clinical objectives they will be working on that parallel the work of Patricia Benner "From Novice to Expert." They may have questions for discussion around these objectives.
- Daily Clinical Log Example [pdf]
Clinical Skills Checklist
- The student should provide you with a Clinical Skills Checklist.
- This will assist in planning experiences as you assess the student's progress.
- Please review this form to understand the student's past experience.
- The checklist should be updated during the preceptorship but all skills do not have to be demonstrated for the student to pass this course.
- You will be asked to complete a Preceptor Evaluation of Student [pdf] at midway (~60 hr) and at completion of preceptorship hours.
- The same form is used for both evaluations.
- Please notify clinical faculty if the student is at risk for being unsuccessful in meeting competency for the preceptorship.
- This form is signed by the preceptor and student and turned in to clinical faculty upon completion of the preceptorship.
- Review roles of preceptor, student, and faculty
- Read and understand preceptorship goals and learning outcomes
- Read and sign preceptor agreement with student
- Fill out time sheet with student and sign
- Be aware that the student will be completing log/blog for each clinical day
- Complete Clinical Skills Checklist
- Complete and sign mid and final student evaluations