Faculty & Staff Detail
Deirdre P. Pierce
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: WEGPHR 232
Phone: (585) 899-6380
Education: Pharm.D., Shenandoah University-Bernard J. Dunn School of Pharmacy
B.S.Pharm., Albany College of Pharmacy
Certifications: Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Certified Geriatric Pharmacist
Deirdre Pierce, Pharm.D., is currently an assistant professor of Pharmacy Practice and Administration at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College and practices at the University of Rochester F.F. Thompson Hospital in Canandaigua, New York. Her focus is in geriatrics, particularly in delirium management and falls prevention, and acute care adult medicine. She also co-coordinates and teaches in the St. John Fisher College Residency Teaching Certificate program for Western and Central New York PGY1 and PGY2 residents.
Formerly, Dr. Pierce was pharmacy clinical practice manager at St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center in Syracuse and the director for the ASHP-accredited Joint Pharmacy Residency Program at St. Joseph’s Hospital and the Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College.
Dr. Pierce received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy at Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and her Doctor of Pharmacy from the Bernard Dunn School of Pharmacy at Shenandoah University in Winchester, Virginia. She is a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist and a Certified Geriatric Pharmacist.
Anticoagulation Practice-Based Certificate, New York State Council of Health-System Pharmacists, Accredited through American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists
Courses as Instructor
- Applied Pathophysiology I, II, and III
- Drug Interactions
- Top 200 Drugs
- Concepts in Pharmacy Practice I
- Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience: Acute Care
- Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Pierce DP, Holub DC. COPD: Optimizing treatment. J Fam Pract. 2015. Oct;64(10):610-23
- 1/2015: Noviasky J, Darko W, Akajagbor D, Makaron A, Miller C, Pierce D, Seabury R, Whalen K. Digoxin Pharmacokinetics. In:; Cohen, H, ed. Applied Pharmacokinetics: A; Clinical Case Study Guide. First ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 10/2014: Noviasky J, Pierce D, Whalen K, Guharoy, R, Hildreth K. Response to the letter to the editor. Bupivacaine liposomal versus bupivacaine: comparative review. Hosp Pharm 2014. 49; 9:794-795.
- 6/2014: Noviasky J, Pierce D, Whalen K, Guharoy R, Hildreth K. Bupivacaine Liposomal (Exparel®) versus Bupivacaine: No Evidence of Improved Outcomes. Hosp Pharm. 2014. Jun; 49(6):539-43.
- 4/2014: Pharmacotherapy Considerations in Older Adults, The Physicians Reciprocal Insurers Risk Management Group, 1 CE credit, location: The Genesee Inn, Syracuse, NY 13202.
- 2/2014: Pharmacotherapy Considerations in Older Adults, presented to the Central New York Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Accredited by ACPE 1.0 contact hours. The Sheraton University, Syracuse, NY.
- 12/2012: Wedow R, Pierce D, Whalen K. Use of high-risk medication for treatment of hyperkalemia: an evaluation of intravenous insulin use in hospitalized patients, Poster/Abstract ASHP Midyear Conference.
- 12/2012: Dennis A, Pierce D, Whalen K. Evaluation of prescribing and monitoring practices for adult inpatients receiving filgrastim in a community teaching hospital. Poster/Abstract ASHP Midyear Conference.
- 12/2011: Dorward K, Avery L, Whalen K, Pierce D, Call A. Influence of pharmacist dosing practices on vancomycin induced nephrotoxicity: A comparative review between two teaching hospitals? Poster/Abstract, ASHP Midyear Conference.
- 6/2010: Delello B, Whalen K, Keppler S, Pierce D. Preventing Negative Outcomes from Anticoagulation Therapy, P-NOAT Project St. Joseph's Hospital Pharmacy Dept. Grant provided by NYS Dept. Of Health, Structure, Analysis, and Poster Presentation Team: NYS DOH Safety Conference.
- ASHP Geriatric Networking Facilitator 2015-2017