Faculty & Staff Detail
Kathryn A. Connor, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCNSP
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: WEGPHR 236
Phone: (585) 899-3789
Education: Pharm.D., Wayne State University (Detroit,MI)
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency, Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore, MD)
PGY-2 Critical Care Specialty Residency, Regional Medical Center/University of Tennessee Health Science Center (Memphis, TN)
Dr. Connor’s specialty is critical care, and at WSOP she teaches didactically in Pathophysiology and Therapeutics III and IV, Pathophysiology and Therapeutics III and IV Case Studies and participates in Concepts in Pharmacy Practice I and II. Dr. Connor strives to maintain an exemplary clinical site in the Surgical ICU at the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) and precepts WSOP students there in Introductory and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. Dr. Connor is also a dedicated advisor and a member of the WSOP IPAC Committee, among others. In addition, Dr. Connor is proud to be the ACCP College of Pharmacy Faculty Liaison for WSOP, and is passionate about involving students in clinical pharmacy and encouraging early participation in professional organizations.
Before beginning her tenure at WSOP in 2009, Dr. Connor was fortunate to complete two ASHP-accredited residencies, in challenging clinical environments, under the guidance of internationally-recognized directors and preceptors. Dr. Connor is doubly board-certified, in both Pharmacotherapy and Nutrition Support, is expecting to finish an ACCP teaching certificate program soon and is an APhA-certified immunizer. Dr. Connor enjoys clinical research and scientific writing. She is fortunate to have published several papers and has been invited to present in various locations nationally (please see below).
Since her days as a student pharmacist and pharmacy resident, Dr. Connor has been heavily involved in many pharmacy organizations, including SCCM, ACCP, APhA, ASP, SIDP, ASHP, A.S.P.E.N. and their local affiliates, is honored to have chaired numerous committees and has been invited/nominated to hold many national leadership positions.
Dr. Connor has also had the opportunity to practice pharmacy in different regions of the country, including the Midwest, the East Coast and the Mid-South, and is always eager to relate her experiences to students, both in the classroom and at her practice site. Over the years she has seen the positive impact that pharmacists, pharmacy residents and pharmacy students can have on patient care, particularly for the vulnerable and complicated critically ill population, and especially in a progressive clinical environment.
Dr. Connor feels that nothing informs her teaching and benefits her students more than her clinical and leadership experience and looks forward to continuing to contribute to the education of her future pharmacy colleagues!
Dr. Connor lives in Rochester, NY with her wonderful family, and increasingly values the importance of a healthy work/life balance. When she is not working, she enjoys animals and nature, various intellectual and cultural pursuits and travel within the U.S. and abroad.
- Editor/Co-editor of SCCM CPP quarterly newsletter (national), 2010-2012
- URMC Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Newsletter Article, Comparison of Lasix versus Diamox in SICU Patients, December 2012
- URMC Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Newsletter Article, Comparison of Crystalloid Intravenous Fluids in the SICU, December 2012
- URMC Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Newsletter Article, Atrial Fibrillation Management, April 2012
- URMC Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Newsletter Article, Indications for Octreotide in the SICU, April 2012
- URMC Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Newsletter Article, Anticoagulants, December 2011
- URMC Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Newsletter Article, Bivalirudin, July 2011
- "Clinical Spotlight: Nutrition and Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy." Critical Connections,August/September 2011: Nutrition in the ICU.
- Dickerson RN, Hamilton LA, Connor KA, et al. Increased hypoglycemia associated with renal failure during continuous intravenous insulin infusion and specialized nutritional support. Nutrition. 2011; 27:766-772.
- Connor KA. Food animal production affects worldwide antibiotic resistance. Pharmacology Consult. Infectious Disease News. May, 2011
- Connor KA. New intravenous antibiotics: a focused pharmacotherapy update. AACN Adv Crit Care. 2010 Jul-Sep;21(3):237-40; quiz 242.
- Connor KA, Hamilton LA. Pursuing Board of Pharmacy Specialties certification. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010 Jul 15;67(14):1146, 1150-1
- Smith, KA, Sorensen T, Connor KA, et al. Value of Conducting Pharmacy Residency Training — The Organizational Perspective. ACCP. Pharmacotherapy 2010;30(12):1313.
- Helms LA, Connor KA. "Immunosuppression: A Focused Medication Review," Critical Connections, December 2009: Immunodeficiency in the ICU.
- Connor KA. Pharmacotherapy Pearls: "Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Prolonged Infusion ß -Lactam Antibiotics: A Literature Review." The Society of Infectious Diseases Newsletter, November 2009.
- Connor KA, Swanson JM, Boucher BA, Wood GC. Resolution of Clinical Signs of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in Trauma Patients;" abstract (#311), Crit Care Med. 37(12):A1-A542, 2009.
- Vallury M, Zaher H, Connor K, Lindblad WJ. "Phenotypic Differences in Proliferation, Migration and Protease Secretion between Dermal Fibroblasts Obtained from Type-1 Diabetics and Normal Humans;" abstract (#154), Pharmacotherapy 29, Suppl:35e-173e, 2009.
- Connor KA, Golden SH, Dintzis J, Pinto B., Walbrown M., Anderson D., Wolfgang C. Derr R., Roberts M.
- "Characterization of Blood Glucose Levels in Surgical Intensive Care Patients Following Pancreatectomy;" abstract (#281),Crit Care Med,36(12) Suppl:A1-A198,2008.
- Molesa C, Connor K, Liu CY. "Outcome of implementing a protocol for the management of chemotherapy–induced hypersensitivity;" abstract (#181), Pharmacotherapy,26: E50-E121,2006.
- Vallury M, Zaher H, Connor K, Lindblad WJ. "Phenotypic Differences in Proliferation, Migration and Protease Secretion between Dermal Fibroblasts Obtained from Type-1 Diabetics and Normal Humans;" abstract (page #48), Connective Tissue Research,47:39-52,2006.
- Professor Walk Rounds, Pharmacotherapy, SCCM Annual Congress, February 2012, Houston, TX
- Advanced Practice Nursing Continuing Education Seminar: Newer IV Antibiotics, URMC, January, April, September, November 2012, Rochester, NY
- Late Breaker Session, Critical Care, ACCP Annual Meeting; October 2011, Pittsburgh, PA
- Resolution of Clinical Signs of VAP in Trauma Patients, ACCP Annual Meeting; Critical Care Practice and Research Network (PRN) Business Meeting; April 2010, Charlotte, NC
- Modified Insulin Infusion in Acute Kidney Injury, American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition's (A.S.P.E.N.) Clinical Nutrition Week; February, 2010, Las Vegas, NV
- Voluntary Membership Liaison Program Orientation, Society of Critical Care Medicine's (SCCM) 39th Annual Congress; January, 2010, Miami Beach, FL
- SCCM Mentor-Mentee Program Experience, SCCM'S Annual Congress; January, 2010, Miami Beach, FL
- Development and Implementation of a Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia Pathway in a Trauma ICU, ACCP Critical Care PRN Business Meeting; October 2009, Anaheim, CA
- Continuing Education Seminar, Nutrition Therapy in Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy, The 22nd Annual Memphis-Area Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Symposium, ACPE Accreditation Number 064-000-08-016-L01-P; May, 2009, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Resolution of Clinical Signs of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in Trauma Patients, Memphis-Area Invitational Residency Conference; April, 2009, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Nutrition Support in CRRT , May 2009; Regional Medical Center at Memphis, Memphis, TN
- Presenter, live and online; November, 2008, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center; Memphis TN
- Characterization of Blood Glucose Levels in Surgical Intensive Care Patients Following Pancreatectomy Platform Presentation; May 2008, Hershey, PA
- Improving the Treatment of Cyanide Poisoning with Hydroxycobalamin, ACPE accreditation number 466-000-07-029-L01-P; January, 2008, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Resolution of clinical signs of VAP in trauma intensive care unit patients, ACCP Spring Practice and Research Forum; April 2010, Charlotte, NC
- Resolution of clinical signs of VAP in trauma intensive care unit patients, SCCM's Annual Congress; January, 2010, Miami Beach, FL
- Development and Implementation of a Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia Pathway in a Trauma ICU, ACCP Annual Meeting; October, 2009, Anaheim, CA
- Phenotypic Differences in Proliferation, Migration and Protease Secretion between Dermal Fibroblasts Obtained from Type-1 Diabetics and Normal Fibroblasts, ACCP/ESCP International Congress on Clinical Pharmacy; April 2009, Orlando, FL
- Characterization of Blood Glucose Levels in Surgical Intensive Care Patients Following Pancreatectomy. SCCM's Annual Congress; February, 2009, Nashville, TN
- Practical Application of the Stewart Acid-Base Model in SICU Patients Undergoing Intravenous Diuresis
- Prevalence and Factors Associated With Prolonged Empiric Antibiotic Therapy in the ICU
- Medication Error Detection, Amelioration, and Prevention
- Modified Insulin Infusion in AKI
- Development of a HIT Pathway
- Resolution of Clinical Signs and Symptoms in Trauma ICU Patients Following Diagnosis of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
- Characterization of Blood Glucose Levels Following Pancreatectomy
- Outcome of Implementing a Hypersensitivity Management Protocol in a Cancer Center
- Differences in Cell Migration and Protease Secretion Between Normal and Type-1 Diabetic Fibroblasts
- The Highland Park Pharmacy Services Study: Meeting the Needs of a Medically Underserved Urban Minority Area Through a Community Pharmacy Clinic
Honors and Awards:
- SCCM Presidential Citation, 2013
- SCCM Presidential Citation, 2012
- SJFC Faculty Travel Grant (SCCM), 2012
- ACCP Critical Care PRN Volunteer Recognition; 2011, http://www.accp.com/membership/vrp.aspx
- SCCM Presidential Citation; 2011
- SJFC research grant award, and feature in SJF "College News Highlights"; 2010
- ACCP Critical Care PRN Travel Awards; April 2010
- SCCM Presidential Citation, 2010
The University of Tennessee/Regional Medical Center at Memphis
- ACCP Critical Care PRN Travel Awards; October 2009
- ACCP Best Poster Finalist, Second Runner Up; April 2009
- Wayne State University
- APhA-ASP Mortar and Pestle Professionalism Award; May 2007
- Dean's List; 2005-2006
- Wayne County Pharmacists Association Scholarship; July 2005
- Wayne State University Presidential Scholarship; July 2003-May 2007
- Dean's List; 2000-2003
- "Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges"; 2000-2003
- Science Honors; 2002-2003
- Phi Theta Kappa International Academic Honor Society; September 2001-August 2002
- Foundation Scholarship, Robert/Vontella Sheridan Endowment; July 2002
- Claren C. Jones Science Award; May 2002
- Michigan Merit Award; June 2000