Faculty & Staff Detail
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: WEGPHR 232
Phone: (585) 899-3884
Education: Family Medicine Residency, Forest Park Hospital (St. Louis Missouri)
Pharm.D., Midwestern University
B.S.Pharm., University of Illinois
Certifications: Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Certified Diabetes Educator
Dr. Ahmed-Sarwar received her B.S. Pharmacy (2002) and Pharm.D. (2003) degrees from Midwestern University-Chicago College of Pharmacy and completed a pharmacy practice residency with an emphasis in family medicine at the St. Louis College of Pharmacy (2004).
Upon completion of her residency, she joined the faculty at Ferris State University, College of Pharmacy with a clinical practice site at the Michigan State University Department of Family Medicine, followed by a position as an inpatient clinical coordinator at Crouse Hospital in Syracuse, NY. She returned to pharmacy academia and joined the faculty at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy in 2013.
Throughout her career, Dr. Ahmed-Sarwar has practiced in various pharmacy settings including community pharmacy, inpatient staff pharmacist, and inpatient clinical coordinator. Dr. Ahmed-Sarwar is a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator, and has served as a preceptor to pharmacy students and residents in various settings over the past ten years for various institutions including Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and Pharmacy, Ohio Northern University, Raabe College of Pharmacy, and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
In addition to her faculty responsibilities, Dr. Ahmed-Sarwar is a clinical pharmacy specialist at Highland Family Medicine, Family Medicine Residency Program for the University of Rochester. Dr. Ahmed-Sarwar’s clinical areas of focus include chronic disease state management, diabetes management and education, and transitions in care. Her research interests include improving diabetes management, patient-centered medical home and transitional care models, and experiential and team based learning models.
- McCabe P, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Lashway K, Devine M, Taggart C. Improve quality of care in half the time: Interdisciplinary telemedicine improves practice management. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine: Conference on Practice Improvement, Dallas TX, Dec 2015.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, DeCaporale-Ryan L, Woz S, Lashway K, Mahler K, Lewis T, Upham R. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Interdisciplinary team discharge clinic prevents hospital readmissions. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine: Conference on Practice Improvement, Dallas TX, Dec 2015.
- Upham R, DeCaporale-Ryan L, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Lashway K, Mahler K, Lewis T, Lim M. Post-hospitalization discharge clinic: Who, What, When & Why? Society of Teachers of Family Medicine: Conference on Practice Improvement, Dallas TX, Dec 2015.
- Roche S, Ahmed-Sarwar N. The impact of continuity in care between patient visits to achieve blood pressure control. American Society of Health System Pharmacy Mid-Year Clinical Meeting, New Orleans LA, Dec 2015.
- Crowley A, Nagel A, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Carroll TM. Impact of collaborative drug therapy management on hypertension. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting, San Francisco CA, Oct 2015.
- Pena A, Stryker M, Nagel A, Ahmed-Sarwar N. Pharmacy student-led evaluation of patient willingness for smoking cessation utilizing various smoking cessation methods. American Society of Health System Pharmacy Mid-Year Clinical Meeting, Anaheim CA, Dec 2014.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Mahler K, Lashway K, Scahill D, Mendoza M. Let's Collaborate: Interdisciplinary Care Management. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine: Conference on Practice Improvement, Tampa FL, Dec 2014.
- Nagel A, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Cipriano G, Brown J, Van Manen R. Sitagliptin Associated Pancreatic Carcinoma: a Review of the FDA AERS Database. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Austin TX, Oct 2014.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Nagel A. Enhancing Ambulatory Care APPEs by incorporating Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) Principles. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Grapevine TX, July 2014.
- Bernknopf A, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Seiferlein M, Staat D, Paul N, Brondin M, DeYoung J, Dettloff R. Development of a Teaching Certificate Pilot Program (TCPP) for Non-University Based Pharmacy Residents. AACP Annual Meeting, Lake Buena Vista FL, July 2007.
- Ahmed-Sarwar, N, Janeway J, Sparks KJ. Medication Therapy Modifications in Post-Surgical Bariatric Patients. American Society of Bariatric Surgeons, San Diego CA, June 2007.
- Hagerman JK, Ahmed N., Delgado VJ, Klepser ME. Development and Implementation of a Virtual Chart Case Series. AACP Annual Meeting, San Diego CA, July. 2006.
- Ahmed N, Brousil JA, Evans SE. Adherence to Recommendations for LDL Lowering in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes mellitus. ACCP Annual Meeting, Dallas TX, Oct. 2004.
- Ahmed N, Burkiewicz JS. Impact of Pharmacy Based Oral Anticoagulation Services on Patient Knowledge. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, New Orleans LA, Dec 2001.
- "Effective use of team based learning in a flipped classroom," Scholarly Roundtable. American Academy of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, National Harbor MD, July 2015.
- "Ask the Experts: Medical Weight loss Pharmacology," Live web seminar: www.barimd.com. Sept. 14 2007.
- "Ask the Experts: Pharmacological Changes Pre- and Post Bariatric Surgery," Live web seminar: www.barimd.com. Sept. 25 2006.
- "Collaboration and Team-based Care for Diabetes." Integrated Care and Medical Family Therapy. The University of Rochester's 22nd Annual Intensive, June 2015.
- "Insect Repellents: Safety and Selection." WROC-TV Channel 8, Morning News Show with Mark Gruba, Appearance, June 2015.
- "Aging and Diabetes: Is there really a 'sweet spot'?" The Rochester Area Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Mar 2015.
- "Panel Discussion: Highly Functioning Teams, Highland Family Medicine." University of Rochester Medical Center 2nd Annual Institute for Innovative Education Team Based Care Symposium, Nov 2014.
- "Sun Protection and Sunscreens," WROC-TV Channel 8, Morning News Show with Mark Gruba, Appearance, July 2014.
- "Using Cough and Cold Medications in Children Safely", WROC-TV Channel 8, Morning News Show with Mark Gruba, Appearance, Mar 2014.
- "Traveling Safely with Medications," WROC-TV Channel 8, Morning News Show with Mark Gruba Appearance, Nov 2013.
- "Know your medications," WROC-TV Channel 8, Morning News Show with Mark Gruba Appearance, Aug 2013.
- "Bariatric Surgery: Impact on pharmacotherapy." Upstate Medical University Hospital, Pharmacy Grand Rounds, Apr 4 2012.
- "Geropharmacology 101," Community Health Foundation Central and Western New York, Webinar, Dec. 2011.
- "Spoonful of Sugar Makes the Medicine Go Down? Safety Strategies for Diabetic Drug Safety," ACCP-NY Fall Clinical Meeting, Syracuse, NY. Oct. 2009.
- "Update on Bariatrics and Obesity," Ferris State University College of Pharmacy Fall Seminar, Oct. 19 2007 (ACPE #028-000-07-079-L01).
- "Pharmacologic Issues in the Bariatric Patient," Gratiot Medical Center Fall Symposium in Primary Care, Alma, MI, Oct. 18 2007.
- "The Evolving Role of Insulin Therapy in Diabetes Mellitus", Capital Area Pharmacists Association, Jun. 7 2007 (ACPE # 112-999-07-317-L01).
- Pharmacotherapeutic Interventions Post Bariatric Surgery: A Pharmacist's Role," Michigan Pharmacists Association Annual Convention and Exposition, Feb. 24 2007 (ACPE # 112-000-07-124-L01).
- "Pharmacotherapeutic Considerations Pre and Post Bariatric Surgery," Sparrow Pharmacy Seminar, Sparrow Health Systems, Jan. 2007 (ACPE # 521-000-06-010-L04).
- "APhA Pharmacy Based Immunization Training Certificate Program," Facilitator. Lansing, Michigan, Aug. 16 2006.
- "Clinical Pharmacy Services in Family Practice". Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Physician Group Incentive & Physician Organization Gain-Sharing Programs, Lansing Community College June. 16 2006.
- "Medication Therapy Modifications Post Bariatric Surgery." Little Victories Bariatric Support Group. Sparrow Health System, June. 6 2006.
- "Diabetes Care Certificate Program: Patient assessment, self- monitoring and management." Michigan Pharmacist Association and Health Plus of Michigan. Apr. 20 2006, Genesys Regional Medical Center, Grand Blanc, Michigan (ACPE # 112-000-06-322-l01).
- "Bariatric Surgery and Medications: What patients need to know". Little Victories Bariatric Support Group. Sparrow Health System, Apr. 4 2006.
- "Pharmacological Advancements in Diabetes Mellitus," Michigan Pharmacist Association Annual Convention and Exposition, Feb. 19 2006, Dearborn, Michigan (ACPE #112-000-06-153-L01).
- "New Advances in the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus," Sparrow Pharmacy Seminar, Sparrow Health Systems, Nov. 2005 (ACPE #521-000-05-012-L01).
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Pierce DP, Holub DC. COPD: Optimizing treatment. J Fam Pract. 2015 Oct;64(10):610-23.
- Nagel AK, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Werner PM, Cipriano GC, Van Manen RP, Brown JE. Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitor-Associated Pancreatic Carcinoma: A Review of the FAERS Database. Ann Pharmacother. Epub 2015 Oct 23.
- Sarwar MF, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Vent D. Aggressive Anesthetic Management of a Patient with Severely Dilated Cardiomyopathy for Non Cardiac Surgery. J Anesth Crit Care Open Access 2015,2(2):00049.Ahmed-Sarwar N, Nanno D. Know your medications, your life may depend on it!. YourCare - A publication for the community from Crouse Hospital. 2010.
- Chan, L, Downing J. Management of Patients Receiving Bariatric Surgery. In: Richardson M, Chant C, Cheng JWM, Chessman KH, Hume AL, Hutchinson LC, et. al., eds. Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program, 6th ed. Gastroenterology and Nutrition. Lexnexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy 2009:63-81. (Expert Peer Reviewer).
- Ahmed-Sarwar N. Medication Therapy After Bariatric Surgery. Encyclopedia of Obesity, Sage Publications. May 2008.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N. Antidepressants. Encyclopedia of Obesity, Sage Publications. May 2008.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Schalk H. Pharmacological Therapy for Childhood Obesity. Encyclopedia of Obesity, Sage Publications. May 2008.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, For your health: Obesity. Michigan Pharmacists, April 2008.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N. Medication Misadventures: How to avoid them. Book Chapter In: Janeway JM, Sparks KJ, Baker RS. The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery: An Indispensable Guide to What You Can Really Expect! 2nd Edition, Little Victories Press. 2007.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Pack S. For your health: Osteoporosis prevention and treatment options. Michigan Pharmacists, June 2007.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N, Janeway J, Sparks KJ. Medication Therapy Modifications in Post-Surgical Bariatric Patients. Invited publication: Surgery for Obesity Related Diseases, May 2007.
- Ahmed-Sarwar N. Changing Perceptions: Pharmacists Providing Direct Patient Care: Diabetes Invited publication: Michigan Society of Health-System Pharmacists, May 2007.
- Ahmed N, Coffey JB, Oh R. Clinical Inquiries. What is the best management of patients who experience a transient ischemic attack while on aspirin? J Fam Pract. 2006;55:627-8.
- Monroe County Medical Society Community – Asthma Advisory Committee
- Visiting Nurses Association of Central New York, Board of Directors
- Capital Area Pharmacist Association, President Elect (2008)
- ACCP - NY Chapter Volunteer Contribution Recognition, Jan. 2010
- AACP - Ferris State University Faculty Delegate, July 2006
- APhA - Self-Care Institute Faculty Scholarship Recipient, May 2006
- Areas of clinical research include diabetes management and transitional care surround hospital discharges
Applied Pathophysiology and Therapeutics
- Lecture/Clinical Lab: Men's Health, PHAR 5147, Fall 2013, PHAR 5157, Fall 2014
- Lecture: Hyperuricemia and Gout, PHAR 5147, Fall 2013, PHAR 5157, Fall 2014
- Lecture/Clinical Lab: Headache Disorders, PHAR 5147, Fall 2013, PHAR 5157, Fall 2014
- Lecture/Clinical Lab: Osteoporosis, PHAR 5157, Fall 2014
- Lecture/Clinical Lab: Diabetic Complications, PHAR 4247, Spring 2014
- Lecture/Clinical Lab: Cerebrovascular Disease: Stroke, PHAR 4247, Spring 2014
Concepts in Pharmacy Practice
- Immunization Delivery Certification Faculty, PHAR 5237, Spring 2014
Top 200 Drugs
- Facilitator: Drugs List 7, PHAR 3217, Spring 2014
- Facilitator: Drug List 8 and 11, PHAR 3117, Fall 2014
Introduction to Diversity
- Lecture/Facilitator: Caring for your Muslim Patients, PHAR 3218, Spring 2014
- Application of Drug Interaction Information in Clinical Practice, PHAR 5524, Geropharmacology 101, Fall 2013 To Present
Advanced Pharmacology (Wegmans School of Nursing)
- Lecture: Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Drug Biotransformation, GNUR 570, Spring 2015, Summer 2015
Self-Care and Natural Products
- Lecture: Introduction to Self-Care, PHAR 4238, Spring 2014
- Lecture/TBL Workshop: Cough and Cold, PHAR 4238, Spring 2014
- Lecture/TBL Workshop: Vulvovaginal Disorders, PHAR 4238, Spring 2014