Faculty & Staff Detail
Melanie R. Symoniak
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: WEGPHR 232
Phone: (585) 385-8390
Education: Pharm.D., University of Pittsburgh
Certifications: Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Dr. Symoniak received her Pharm.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. She then completed a PGY-1 pharmacy practice residency and PGY-2 internal medicine residency at West Virginia University Hospitals.
In 2012, she joined the Wegmans School of Pharmacy. Her current practice site is with a teaching medical service at Rochester General Hospital where she provides clinical pharmacy services and precepts fourth year pharmacy students.
She was on the founding committee for the PGY-1 pharmacy practice residency at Rochester General Hospital and is also a preceptor for the program. She is a co-advisor for the student chapter of the American Pharmacists Association at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy.
Dr. Symoniak’s clinical research interests include acute and chronic kidney disease, renal dosing of medications, and medication toxicity. Her academic research interests include interprofessional education.
- Montaperto AG, Gandhi MA, Gashlin LZ, Symoniak MR. Patiromer: a clinical review. Curr Med Res Opin 2015; Epub ahead of print.
- Woytowish* MR, Maynor LM. Clinical relevance of linezolid-associated serotonin syndrome. Ann Pharmacother 2013; 47(3):388-397.
- Martello JM, Woytowish* MR, Chambers HB. Ecallantide for treatment of acute attacks of hereditary angioedema. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2012;69(8):651-657.
- Incidence of contrast-induced nephropathy and the preventative effect of intravenous hydration in an at-risk population at a large community hospital, New Orleans LA, December 2015 – poster presentation at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Bridging Academia and Practice through an Interprofessional Clinical Practicum, Rochester NY, November 2015 – 1 hour nursing CE program
- Changing Care in CKD? New Electrolyte-focused Pharmacotherapies, Rochester NY, May 2015 – 1 hour CE webinar
- Implementation of Curriculum-wide IPE for Pharmacy and Nursing Students at a Small Private College Based on TeamSTEPPS®, Savannah GA, April 2015 - podium presentation at the Interprofessional Health Care Summit
- Bridging Academia and Practice through an Interprofessional Clinical Practicum, Savannah GA, April 2015 – podium presentation at the Interprofessional Health Care Summit
- The Role of Interprofessional Education in Training Healthcare Practitioners, Rochester NY, March 2014 – 1 hour faculty development presentation
- Careers in Pharmacy, Rochester NY, January 2014 – 0.5 hour presentation to high school students
- Drug-induced Kidney Injury in the Hospital, Rochester NY, November 2012 - 1 hour NYSCE program
- Observed incidence of linezolid-associated serotonin syndrome during concomitant serotonergic therapy, Hollywood FL, October 2012 – poster presentation at ACCP Annual Meeting
- Deciphering the 2012 CHEST Guidelines: A Focus on Key Changes in Anticoagulation, Morgantown WV, May 2012 – 1 hour CE program
- Updates in Diabetes, Morgantown WV, May 2012 – 1 hour CE program
- Evaluation of compliance with simvastatin dosing recommendations based on drug-drug interactions within a large academic institution, New Orleans LA, December 2011 – poster presentation at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Drug-induced Liver Injury: More Than Just Acetaminophen, Charleston WV, June 2011 – 1 hour CE program
- New Drug Update 2010, Morgantown WV, March 2011 – 1 hour CE program
- Evaluation of de-escalation practices concerning antipseudomonal agents at a large teaching hospital, Anaheim CA, December 2010 – poster presentation at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- 2014 Faculty Research Awards Program (FRAP): Comparison of Enoxaparin Dosing Regimens in Patients with Moderate Renal Impairment, $ 2,500.
- Bridging Academia and Practice through an Interprofessional Practicum
- Incidence of Serotonin Syndrome with Linezolid
- PHAR 4157 Applied Pathophysiology & Therapeutics I
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Estimation of Renal Function
- PHAR 4257 Applied Pathophysiology & Therapeutics II
- Acute and Drug-induced Kidney Injury
- PHAR 4238 Self-Care & Natural Products
- Fungal Skin Infections & Warts
- TeamSTEPPS® Interprofessional Course