Roba Named 2nd Farash Scholar at Fisher
Freshman nursing major George Roba, a graduate of Northeast College Preparatory in Rochester, is St. John Fisher College’s second Farash Scholar, chosen by the Max and Marian Farah Charitable Foundation earlier this year. As a Farash Scholar, Roba will graduate from Fisher debt-free, and participate in community service at local non-profit organizations throughout his college career.
In 2012, the Farash Foundation announced the “First in Family” (FIF) scholarship program, which enables selected students from Monroe and Ontario Counties to attend college tuition-free. The scholarships are available to students who are the first in their immediate families to attend college.
While in high school, Roba was involved in the yearbook club; served as President of the Envirothon, an environmental competition among Monroe County schools; and was a member of the bowling team. Community service also took up much of his time, as he volunteered for the Salvation Army, American Red Cross, and several recycling and clean-up projects in his school and community. Additionally, he volunteered as a junior instructor in karate and tutored fellow students.
Roba’s long-term goals include medical school in hopes of becoming a doctor after gaining valuable experience working as a nurse in a hospital setting.
“This scholarship has given me an amazing opportunity to go to school and be able to succeed without worrying about loans that I would have to pay back later,” said Roba. “It has given me the chance to take full advantage of the classes and internship opportunities to make the most out of my four years at Fisher.”
Nine area colleges are part of this program—FLCC, MCC, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Nazareth, Roberts Wesleyan College, RIT, SUNY Brockport, U of R, and Fisher.
Latest Campus Happenings
- College Debuts New TV Commercials
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Cardinals Crush Courage Bowl IX
- Fisher Named a 2014 Best Private College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Women’s Soccer Plays for More Than a Win
- Family Weekend Attracts 130 Fisher Families
- Pharmacy Students Complete Fifth Summer Mission, Help Set Record
- Marketing Club Prepares for the Annual AMA Marketing Week
- Communication/Journalism Department Now Department of Media and Communication
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges
- College Introduces #FisherCares Initiative
- Roba Named 2nd Farash Scholar at Fisher
- Welcome Class of 2017!
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- “Camp College” Comes to St. John Fisher College This Weekend
- Local High School Students Are Now “College Bound”
- Students and Faculty Complete 7th Medical Mission to El Salvador
- Fisher Joins Liberty League for Rowing
- Fisher Accounting Storms Europe
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award