Education Students Renovate Reading Rooms at Maplewood Library in Rochester
A group of students from the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education traded in their time at the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade for a paintbrush and toolbox and instead donated their time to renovate two rooms at Maplewood Library in Rochester.
A total of 22 students worked around the clock to make sure they were ready to reveal the rooms to the community on Wednesday, March 20.
Visiting Instructor Sharon Christman once again led her class in one of her famous makeovers, but it was the first time the students ever tackled a public library. Based on their in-class training, the students designed and created two literary resource centers for pre-K to adult programs, which respond to the needs of the Maplewood Library community. The library serves many students from the Northwest quadrant of Rochester.
And moving forward, Fisher’s First Generation Scholar students will also volunteer their time to tutor students in the programs. Many students in those programs are second-language learners from Nepal and Burma.
Dusty Baker ’13 helped with the renovations and is also a tutor at the library. He said there are many community members that use the space on a daily basis.
“The entire time on Saturday was spent putting our teacher skills to good use. We organized and brought the two classrooms to life,” said Baker. “Seeing the smiles and joy from those people really made the hours spent truly worth it.”
Latest Campus Happenings
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization
- Professor, Student Publish Manuscript in Journal of Pharmacy Practice
- Three at School of Education Complete Crisis Intervention Certification Program
- Smith Selected to Edit Nursing Leadership Textbook
- Teaching Across Cultures Topic of Ikpeze’s New Book
- Pharmacy Professor Tapped to Join Monroe County Asthma Advisory Committee
- Dambaugh Joins National Chronic Care Task Force