Recent Alumni Start Website; Encourage Holiday Giving
While Jake Weidert and Rocco Carzo were winding down their last semester at St. John Fisher College last spring, they started their own company called BookDecay.com. The idea behind the website was to encourage students to provide textbook reviews online that go beyond what’s explained in a course syllabus in an effort to help their peers better prepare for courses. For the month of December, these members of the Class of 2011 have decided to use their company to give back during the holiday season.
This month, BookDecay.com will donate $0.20 for every review provided on its site to the Toys for Tots Foundation. In addition, on Thursday, December 8 only, they will donate another $.20 for every review to Camp Good Days and Special Times in honor of the local ROC the Day fundraiser. ROC the Day is a 24-hour community initiative geared to raise money for a variety of charities in Rochester.
Weidert and Carzo hope this initiative encourages students to improve their education by helping each other with the peer reviews. In addition, they want to help students realize the power they have to make an impact on the world and in the lives of others.
“At a time when our economy is struggling, the costs of college and the value of an education have become increasingly important,” Weidert said. “Students should be in control of the type of experience they have.”
Regarding the company’s current fundraiser, Carzo added, “It’s a simple act – reviewing a textbook – but the effect can be profound if students believe in their ability to bring about change.”
After launching on September 1, BookDecay.com offers access to students from over 100 schools from across the country. In addition to continuing to expand, the company’s goal is to improve its offerings to become the only necessary destination on the Internet for information regarding textbooks and eventually they hope to begin a scholarship fund.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Announces Construction of New Chapel
- Tenures Begin for New Chairs, Member of St. John Fisher College Board of Trustees
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine
- Convocation Brunch Brings Seniors Together for Reflection, Recognition
- Event Celebrates Tradition of Class Rings
- Fisher Grad Discovers Frederick Douglass Photograph
- Philanthropy Week by the Numbers