O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
Beginning on Monday, May 20, St. John Fisher College will host an exhibit in the Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center titled, “Parallel Universe & Figurations.” The exhibit features the work of the husband and wife team, Frederic and Mary Ann Richard Skalny, and includes photography, glass sculptures, pastels, acrylics, and other mixed mediums. An opening reception will take place on Wednesday, May 22, from 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
Parallel Universe: Mary Ann Skalny
Quantum physicists are currently investigating the science fiction concept of parallel universes. If these parallel dimensions occur are they like ours? How are they related to our universe? How many are there? Do they branch off each other? The more you think about it, the more it boggles the mind. As a gardener, Mary Ann began to wonder about what common flowers found in our world might look like in an alternate reality. Would they be more colorful, less colorful, larger, smaller, or thrive in a completely different environment? She began photographing the flowers and manipulate them until they had a new composition. As a result, Mary Ann brings to life what the objects might look like in a universe that is parallel to hers.
Figurations: Frederic Skalny
The human figure has always been an important subject matter in Frederic’s art. He enjoys experimenting with different mediums, while manipulating the proportions of the human body. The figures are human but with subtle and not so subtle differences. They display the characteristics of the humans we know but with a slightly different presentation or attitude. He can almost see some of them inhabiting the Parallel Universe that his wife imagines. Some of Frederic’s images relate to the setting around them, and others simply float in space without a definitive setting to explain them. This allows the viewer to place the figure in whatever setting they think appropriate.
Gallery hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to noon. The exhibit is free and open to the public. For more information about the exhibit, please contact Calista Amering at 585-385-7322 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation