If you are not currently enrolled in a degree program at St. John Fisher College, you may* be able to take classes as a non-matriculated student. Registration is on a space available basis, for either audit or credit enrollment, after the designated registration period for matriculated students. You will not receive an academic advisor and are not eligible for financial aid.
*Students who are inadmissible to the College or who are academically dismissed from St. John Fisher College or any other college may not audit or enroll in non-matriculated status.
Certain courses may have prerequisites or may be restricted to upper-level degree candidates. Proof of prerequisite completion or permission from the instructor may be required to take such a course.
Requirements for Non-Matriculated Students
Non-matriculated students taking a course for credit:
- Must provide college transcripts, proof of high school graduation, or a completed G.E.D., whichever is most recent
- Must present transcripts for courses requiring prerequisites
- Are not admitted or accepted to Fisher as matriculated students
- May take a maximum 12 credit hours (4 courses) in non-matriculated status, and no more than 11 credits in any one semester
- Are not eligible for financial aid through the College
Auditing a Course
In addition to the guidelines above, to audit a course you must meet with the instructor prior to registration for permission and agreement about the nature of your participation in the course and assignments. The instructor will sign the Undergraduate Non-matriculated Form.
Courses which require ongoing, active participation in the work of the course, such as Independent Study and Foreign Language, are not open for audit.
Exceptions must be approved by the provost or designee.
Registration Dates for Non-Matriculated Students
Summer 2014 - begins April 21.
Fall 2014 - begins August 25.
Dates for non-matriculated student registration usually abide by the following guidelines:
- Fall Semester - Two weeks before fall semester begins
- Spring Semester - One week before spring semester begins
- Summer - One week after continuing students may register
See the Registration Information page for more information on academic calendars.
How to Register as a Non-Matriculated Students
- Identify the class(es) you wish to take. See Course Offerings for details (refer to Exploring Fisher's Course Offerings [pdf] for help navigating page). If you are looking for summer online classes only, view Summer Online Courses. Be sure seats are available and you meet any required prerequisites.
- Submit the Undergraduate Non-Matriculated form [pdf] to Academic Affairs, Kearney 202, either in person, by fax (585-385-8117), or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide official/unofficial college transcripts, proof of high school graduation or G.E.D, whichever is most recent, and proof of any required prerequisites.
- Tuition and fee(s) are due 30 days from the date of your registration. You will be billed at the rate per credit hour for part-time undergraduate students. See the Bursar's Office for additional information.
Questions? Contact us at (585) 385-8034.