Prospective Student Disability Information

Disability Services FAQs for Prospective Students

Does Fisher provide services for students with disabilities?

Yes, accommodations and services are provided for students with documented disabilities to provide equal access to educational programs and services in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended (ADAAA).

Accommodations are determined on an individual basis using disability documentation and in consultation with the student.

» Learn more about academic accommodations and residence hall accommodations.

Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No, the admissions process and criteria are the same for all students applying to St. John Fisher College. Disability status is not a consideration in the admissions decisions.

Contact the appropriate Admissions Office (Freshman, Transfer or Graduate) for information regarding the application process and to arrange a campus tour. A tour is strongly suggested to evaluate the accessibility of the campus based on your individual circumstances.

I have been diagnosed with a disorder/condition; will I automatically be granted accommodations?

A diagnosis alone does not quality you for accommodations. You must document the existence of an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, the current impact of your impairment and how it affects your ability to function in an academic setting, and a rationale and objective basis for the requested accommodations.

» Learn more about the process to request accommodations and guidelines for supporting documentation

Does St. John Fisher College provide diagnostic testing services?

No, St. John Fisher College does not provide diagnostic testing services.

It is the student’s responsibility to locate and pay for independent testing. Disability Services can provide a list of area professionals available to conduct private testing services.

If a student with a disability is eligible for services through the state Vocational Rehabilitation Services program, he or she may qualify for an evaluation at no cost.

Should I send my disability documentation with my application?

No, documentation should be submitted with a completed Disability Accommodation Request & Release of Confidential Information form [pdf], only after you have been accepted to the College.

What documentation is required to receive disability accommodations?

Documentation must be current and comprehensive. Please refer to Supporting Documentation Guidelines for more information. Please note that eligibility guidelines and accommodations may differ from your high school or other college you have attended.

Who at the College will know about my disability if I register with Disability Services?

Information from disability documentation is held in a confidential file and is shared only on a "need to know basis." The accommodation process requires the student to disclose disability status to faculty and staff as needed to adapt courses, equipment or facilities to ensure equal access.

What accommodations and services will I be eligible for?

St. John Fisher College provides academic accommodations as supported by your documentation of disability and as required by ADA legislation to ensure equal access.

Typical accommodations may include alternate testing arrangements (extended time, quiet location, use of a word processor), access to an electronic textbook or a copy of class notes.

Exam proctoring and sharing of class notes are provided by students and residence directors under the supervision of the coordinator of Disability Services.

» Learn more about academic accommodations and residence hall accommodations.

Are tutoring services available?

Writing Center tutors provide assistance with all writing assignments, and the Math Center tutors provide assistance with most math courses, as well as some computer science, statistics (including economics & psychology), chemistry and physics courses.

Tutoring services are free of charge to all Fisher students. To make an appointment, visit TutorTrac. "Walk-ins" are welcome but subject to consultant availability. The Centers are located on the top floor of the Golisano Academic Gateway.

Peer tutoring in other 100 and 200 level courses is also available free of charge through the Center for Academic Advising and Support Services.

Is there a fee for disability accommodations?

Students are responsible for aids or assistance of a personal nature such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, computers for home use, or attendants for services of a personal nature including assistance with life coaching.

Requesting Accommodations

In order to evaluate requests for academic and non-academic accommodations, follow the Process to Request Accommodations.

Related Links


"…If you are worried that your child with a disability will have a difficult time making a successful transition to college without your involvement… then you are probably right to be worried. Very few children with disabilities can succeed at the college level. On the other hand, students with disabilities survive and thrive on college campuses across the country. If you still think of your son or daughter as your "child," and they still are comfortable in accepting that role, it is time to take a careful look at where you have come from and what lies before you. As parents, it is time for us to step back and allow/encourage/gently nudge our SWD’s (Students With Disabilities) to assume significant independent responsibility for their own lives, both academically and personally."

Excerpt from "An Open Letter to Parents of Students with Disabilities About to Enter College," written by Jane E. Jarrow, Ph.D., President of DAIS (Disability Access Information & Support)

Dr. Jarrow has established a reputation for being knowledgeable and articulate in understanding and presenting the issues of importance related to disability in the higher education arena. She is a prolific author and an acknowledged leader in the field. Her professional involvement in this field spans 30 years.

Map & DirectionsA-Z Site IndexPeople Directory

Copyright © St. John Fisher College • 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14618 • (585) 385-8000
Questions/Comments? - Email the Webmaster Website Terms of Use