Graduate TEACH Grant
The Federal TEACH Grant program provides grants to students who are completing, or plan to complete coursework needed to begin a career in teaching and agree to teach, for at least four complete academic years, in a high-needs field at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves low -income families. The award amount is prorated for part-time students. Recipients must be enrolled in an eligible education major or TEACH Grant-eligible program.
Due to congressional action, award amounts for any TEACH Grant that is first disbursed on or after October 1, 2014 must be reduced by 7.30% from the award amount for which the recipient would have otherwise been eligible. For example, the maximum award of $4,000 is reduced by $292, resulting in a maximum award of $3,708.
Graduate TEACH Grant Basics
Students must be matriculated in an eligible graduate program listed below and meet the following academic requirements:
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above –OR–
- Score at or above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test (GRE/SAT/ACT –OR–
- Are a current teacher or retiree with expertise in a high-need area and enrolled in a TEACH Grant-eligible Master's or certification program
TEACH Grant recipients must sign an agreement to serve (ATS), which includes:
- serving full-time as a highly qualified teacher
- for 4 academic years within 8 calendar years of completing the program for which the TEACH Grant was awarded
- in a high need subject area
NOTE: If the TEACH Grant requirements including the above are not met, the TEACH Grant is converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan.
The annual amount of the TEACH Grant is subject to change due to congressional action.
Additional TEACH Grant Information
How to Apply for a Graduate TEACH Grant
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Complete the TEACH Grant Application below for final determination. The student will be notified of results.
Please complete the following online steps on the TEACH Grant website each year that you wish to receive the grant:
- Complete the TEACH Grant counseling.
- Complete an Agreement to Serve (ATS).
On the TEACH Grant website, click on "My TEACH Grant" and log in using your FSA ID. TEACH Grant counseling must be completed and an ATS must be signed electronically each year that you are requesting the TEACH Grant in order for the grant to be awarded.
IMPORTANT: If you are awarded the grant based on GPA (not test scores), you must maintain at least a 3.25 cumulative GPA for every semester covered by the grant. The Financial Aid Office will check the GPA prior to each term of the award period.
- MS-LIT-A – M.S. Literacy 5 - 12
- MS-LIT-C – M.S. Literacy Birth - 6
- MS-LIT-C & A – M.S. Literacy B-6 and 5-12
- MS-GMST – M.S. Math/Science/Technology Education
- MS-MST-AD-B – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Biology
- MS-MST-AD-C – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Chemistry
- MS-MST-AD-M – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Math
- MS-MST-AD-P – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Physics
- MS-MST-ADED – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence
- MS-MST-AS-B – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Biology
- MS-MST-AS-C – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Chemistry
- MS-MST-AS-M – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Math
- MS-MST-AS-P – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Adolescence Physics
- CERT-MST-B – Certificate Biology
- CERT-MST-C – Certificate Chemistry
- CERT-MST-M – Certificate Biology
- CERT-MST-P – Certificate Biology
- CERT-B-SPED – Certificate Biology and Students with Biology
- CERT-C-SPED – Certificate Chemistry and Students with Chemistry
- CERT-M-SPED – Certificate Math and Students with Math
- CERT-P-SPED – Certificate Physics and Students with Physics
- MS-MST-CHED – M.S. Math/Sci/Tech & Childhood
- MS-SPED-1-6 – M.S. Special Education 1-6
- MS-SPED-7-12 – M.S. Special Education 7-12
- MS-SPED-BIO – M.S. Special Education & Biology Cert
- MS-SPED-CHED – M.S. Special Education & Childhood Cert
- MS-SPED-CHEM – M.S. Special Education & Chemistry Cert
- MS-SPED-ENG – M.S. Special Education & English Cert
- MS-SPED-FRN – M.S. Special Education & French Cert
- MS-SPED-MATH – M.S. Special Education & Math Cert
- MS-SPED-PHYS – M.S. Special Education & Physics Cert
- MS-SPED-SPN – M.S. Special Education & Spanish Cert
- MS-SPED-SS – M.S. Special Education & SS Cert
- MSED-AED-FRN – M.S.Ed. Adolescence Education French
- MSED-AED-SPN – M.S.Ed. Adolescence Education Spanish