Help Topic Detail
Using Remote Desktop, you can connect to your work computer from home or another location, access all of your programs, files, and network resources as though you were actually sitting in front of your computer at work.
To use Remote Desktop from off campus, first you must connect to SJFC network via a VPN connection.
To connect to your office computer...
- From the Start menu, select All Programs, Accessories, and click on Remote Desktop Connection.
- From the Remote Desktop Connection dialog box, enter the computer name of the host you want to control and click on Connect. i.e., xp-jdoe.academia.sjfc.edu
- Enter your network credentials; username, password and domain if required (Academia)
Having trouble connecting to your SJFC computer from your personal PC?
From a personal PC running Windows 7 or 8 and remote/connecting to your SJFC computer requires a few additional steps.
1. From the Remote Desktop Connection; enter the computer name and click on Connect.
2. From the Enter your credentials window, click on Use another account and click on OK.
Enter username: academia\jdoe and Password (network credentials)
3. From the Remote Desktop Connection window (identity verified), click on Yes.
Establishing a VPN connection at home.
For more additional support or information on Remote Desktop, please contact the OIT Service Desk.