Contact Payroll

Mary R. Powley, Director of Payroll and Accounts Payable
Phone: (585) 385-8057

Erin O'Connor, Payroll Assistant
Phone: (585) 385-8056

Office Fax: (585) 385-8438

Student Employee Information

Visit our Student Employment Overview page for general information about student employment, including types of employment and how to find a work study job.

Student Employment Process

Refer to Descriptions of Necessary Paperwork below for explanations of the documents mentioned in these steps.

  1. Student accepts a position.
  2. Student and Supervisor complete a Student Work Assignment Form following the directions provided with the form. Student completes all of Section 1. The Supervisor completes all of Section 2. All information must be provided.
  3. Student brings the completed Student Work Assignment Form to the Payroll Department for approval. Student may need to complete other employment paperwork at the Payroll Department: I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form [pdf] presenting acceptable identification documents, W-4 Federal Tax withholding Form [pdf], NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding Form [pdf] or Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf].
  4. Student brings the "payroll approved" copy of the Student Work Assignment Form to the Supervisor. At that time the student may begin working.
  5. A Time Sheet [pdf] is completed and signed by the Supervisor for the hours the student has worked during the pay period. The time sheet is turned into the Payroll Department by the due date as determined by the Payroll Schedule [pdf].
  6. Pay day arrives. If the student elected direct deposit, the payroll funds will be in the bank account(s) that was provided on pay day morning. The student can view their direct deposit payroll information on the Employee Services module of Fish 'R' Net. If the student did not elect direct deposit, the student will need to pick up their pay check at the Student Accounts window on pay day Friday or the following Monday, presenting picture ID. Checks not picked up by the end of the day Monday will be mailed to the permanent mailing address on file. If a paycheck is lost, destroyed, stolen or stale dated and must be replaced, a check replacement fee will be assessed.

Descriptions of Necessary Paperwork

Please be prepared to complete necessary employment paperwork:

  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form [pdf] - A student cannot start working until this form is completed and all supporting documentation required by the Department of Homeland Security has been presented. Most students present an unexpired state-issued driver's license or school ID card with photograph AND a Social Security Account Number card or an original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state. A complete list of acceptable documents is included with the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form or can be obtained from the Payroll Department. A student needs to complete only one I-9 for student employment for the entire time they are at the College.
  • Student Work Assignment Form - This form will be provided to the student by the hiring department or individual. Only general information (such as name, address, social security number) is required for this form. When complete, the form is submitted to the Payroll Department for approval.
  • W-4 Federal Tax Withholding Form [pdf] and NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding Form [pdf]** - If a student does not complete payroll tax withholding forms, the Payroll Department will set their payroll tax withholdings at "Single/Zero allowances." If this does not satisfy one's individual tax situations, tax withholding forms are available at the Payroll Department upon request or by completing the above documents and returning them to the Payroll Department.
  • Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf] - The student's bank account number, the bank name and bank's routing number are required to set up this option.

*Fall and spring semesters.

**All earnings are subject to federal, state and local income taxes, including Federal work study and College non-work study.

Check out our Student Employment Overview page for more information.

Fish 'R' NetEmployee Services Module of Fish 'R' Net

View your pay stubs, job history, deduction and benefit costs/history, W4 data, and time-off balances. Need help? Check out our Fish 'R' Net Instructions [pdf].

» Go to Fish 'R' Net

Student Payroll Taxes

Work study and non-work study earnings are not exempt from Federal, State, or local taxes. However, for students enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours during the academic year (fall and spring semesters), work study and non-work study earnings are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA).

New student employees that elect not to complete payroll tax withholding forms (Federal W-4 form and/or a NY IT-2101 form) will automatically be withheld at the single/zero allowances level.

Returning student employees that elect not to complete payroll tax withholding forms with each new academic year, St. John Fisher College will automatically withhold payroll taxes at the Single/Zero level. A new Form W-4 (federal tax form) and/or an IT-2101 (NYS tax form) must be completed to request withholdings other than the Single/Zero level.

Please review your individual tax situation to determine an appropriate withholding status. Links to IRS, New York State and Federal W-4 form and/or NY IT-2101 form are available at the Payroll Department and on our Payroll Documents & Forms page.

See the Student Employee Handbook [pdf], under Employment Paperwork for more information.

Map & DirectionsA-Z Site IndexPeople Directory

Copyright © St. John Fisher College • 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14618 • (585) 385-8000
Questions/Comments? - Email the Webmaster Website Terms of Use