Students Compete in Mock Trial
St. John Fisher College’s Mock Trial Team competed in the American Mock Trial Association Regional Tournament on February 23-24 at Buffalo State College.
Students Katherine Lennon, Jennifer Coleman, Bridget Alberts, Robert Connor, Michael Cunliffe, Travis Butchello, and Michael Montemalo competed on this year’s team. Three Fisher alums, John and Tony Laduca and David Pilato of Laduca Law Firm, served as the team coaches. Jane Snyder, adjunct faculty member, also coached and advised the team. The team was also aided by numerous Justinian Alumni of the College.
The students competed against Penn State in the first round, and then went on to meet another large competitor, Michigan State University. According to Snyder, Fisher lost to Michigan by less than ten points from both judges, demonstrating how strong the team has become.
Snyder also said that this was only Fisher’s third year competing in the regional tournament against schools that have competed since the beginning of the organization’s existence.
“The fact that Fisher came so close to beating these older, more experienced, and highly ranked teams is proof that the Mock Trial Program here is growing rapidly,” she said. “It’ll be hard to predict anything other than Fisher going on for a title next year and moving onto the national tournament.”
Prior to the regional tournament, the team also competed in tournaments at University at Buffalo and University of Rochester.
Latest College News Stories
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
- Birnie Named Interim Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Wegmans School of Pharmacy Founding Dean, Dr. Scott Swigart
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance