Pharmacy Students Win Service, Professional Awards at National Convention
In early August, three students and one alumnus from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy attended the Phi Delta Chi’s Grand Council national convention, bringing home two awards recognizing the Fisher chapter’s service and professional projects.
The chapter received the “Most Improved Chapter Award” and the “100% Completion of Achievement Award.” Both awards were given in recognition of professional, service, and social events the chapter completed in the spring 2013 semester.
“The award means a lot to us because our chapter is small and new. We are still trying to establish ourselves, so being recognized nationally is a big accomplishment,” said Paige Nelson, a P-3 student and chapter officer.
Some of the events gaining the chapter recognition included the “Trick or Eat” Halloween food drive, where members collected 415 nonperishable food items for Foodlink and the St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Project, where chapter members visit the non-profit organization twice a week throughout the semester to help organize their pharmacy and sort donated medications.
They also held a coat drive for Hurricane Sandy victims, health education screenings, and participated in the College’s Relay for Life event.
The annual convention took place in Omaha, Nebraska, where 75 chapters from across the country came together for a week of meetings, discussions, and presentations. The Fisher attendees also had an opportunity to network with other chapters from nearby pharmacy schools, including the University at Buffalo, D’Youville, and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Science.
“We plan to do events with other chapters in the future. It is also beneficial to meet pharmacists from all over the nation practicing in a variety of settings. They are all people we can go to in the future for career advice and guidance,” added Nelson.
Phi Delta Chi is the professional pharmacy fraternity, and promotes scholastic, professional, and social growth in an effort to advance the profession.
(From L to R): Ewelina Szmacinska, Chapter President; Kyle Wheatley '11, and Paige Nelson, Chapter Officer.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rosenberry Leads Effort on Citizen-Centered Journalism Research Initiative
- Fisher Alumna Shares “10 Body Language Habits of Successful People”
- Lavery Library Receives Grant from Rochester Regional Library Council
- Fisher Grad Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium