Pharmacy Students Win Service, Professional Awards at National Convention
In early August, three students and one alumnus from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy attended the Phi Delta Chi’s Grand Council national convention, bringing home two awards recognizing the Fisher chapter’s service and professional projects.
The chapter received the “Most Improved Chapter Award” and the “100% Completion of Achievement Award.” Both awards were given in recognition of professional, service, and social events the chapter completed in the spring 2013 semester.
“The award means a lot to us because our chapter is small and new. We are still trying to establish ourselves, so being recognized nationally is a big accomplishment,” said Paige Nelson, a P-3 student and chapter officer.
Some of the events gaining the chapter recognition included the “Trick or Eat” Halloween food drive, where members collected 415 nonperishable food items for Foodlink and the St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Project, where chapter members visit the non-profit organization twice a week throughout the semester to help organize their pharmacy and sort donated medications.
They also held a coat drive for Hurricane Sandy victims, health education screenings, and participated in the College’s Relay for Life event.
The annual convention took place in Omaha, Nebraska, where 75 chapters from across the country came together for a week of meetings, discussions, and presentations. The Fisher attendees also had an opportunity to network with other chapters from nearby pharmacy schools, including the University at Buffalo, D’Youville, and Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Science.
“We plan to do events with other chapters in the future. It is also beneficial to meet pharmacists from all over the nation practicing in a variety of settings. They are all people we can go to in the future for career advice and guidance,” added Nelson.
Phi Delta Chi is the professional pharmacy fraternity, and promotes scholastic, professional, and social growth in an effort to advance the profession.
(From L to R): Ewelina Szmacinska, Chapter President; Kyle Wheatley '11, and Paige Nelson, Chapter Officer.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program