School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards
The Wegmans School of Pharmacy held an award recognition ceremony to honor faculty and students for their achievements during the last academic year.
The first set of awards was given to students who achieved significant accomplishments because of a pharmacy organization or who have already received an award from a pharmacy organization. The organizations included the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS), Pharmacy Society of Rochester, the American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, and the American Pharmacists Association.
NACDS Award winners (recognizes students for interest in pursuing a pharmacy career and for what the student feels he/she can contribute to the practice of community pharmacy):
- Timothy Adler
- Regina Blackley
- Nicole Moore
- Anita Pena
- Justin Piacentino
- Taylor Rider
- Aaron Schmerbeck
- Casey Stackwick
- Lauren Strawser
- August Troccia
Pharmacy Society of Rochester winners (requires a P2 student to write an essay answering the question, “What do you believe is the most important reason to belong to a professional society?”):
- Taylor Rider
Earlier this year, students competed in the local American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists Clinical Skills Competition, and the Wegmans School of Pharmacy was represented by Ellen Arutunian and Alexandria Danforth, who were both recognized during the ceremony.
The local APhA Counseling Competition also took place earlier in the year, and Ashley Farr was recognized for representing the program at that event.
Corporate student awards - sponsored by CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart - were also presented.
CVS Award winners (given to a student who is interested in pursuing community pharmacy as a career and is engaging in patient care activities in a community pharmacy):
- Meghan Buckley
- Alex Danforth
- Dave Degan
- Brittany Gould
- Elizabeth Seel
Walgreens Diversity Award winners (awarded to three students of an underrepresented minority group with an interest in community pharmacy):
- Stephanie Kim
- Jessica Lynch
- Bismah Zahid
CVS and Walgreens Diversity Award winners.
Walgreens Inclusive Award winner (awarded to a single student who embraces diversity, and promotes diversity and inclusion initiatives on campus):
- InLok Lam
Walmart Award winners (given to a pharmacy student with high scholastic standing in his/her last three years of school and a minimum 3.0 GPA, who has shown the ability to lead others along with a strong desire to enter community practice upon graduation and has current/previous experience in community practice):
- Alex Danforth
A group of 18 students also received an award from the Alvin F. and Ruth K. Thiem Foundation.
Recipients of the first Thiem Award were chosen for their PCOA (Pharmacy College Admission Test) exam results and included Daniel Austin, Kristin Haas, Margaret Helber, Tia Lum, and Andrew Walker.
The second group of Thiem Award recipients were chosen primarily for their academic achievements. The winners included Janene Bonacci, John Cottom, Amy Fadden, Brittany Gould, Kristin Haas, InLok Lam, Katrina Narolis, Kristine Ossman, Casey Stackwick, Mark Stowell, Matthew Stryker, David Verdine, and Katie Viele.
Some of the Thiem Award winners.
More Thiem Award recipients.
Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy, concluded the ceremony with faculty awards.
Teacher of the Year (chosen by students):
- Dr. Mindy Lull (P1)
- Dr. Lisa Phillips (P2)
- Dr. Lisa Avery (P3) *Also the recipient of the 2012 P4 Teacher of the Year
Faculty Preceptor of the Year (chosen by students):
- David Hutchinson
Outstanding Advising Award (chosen by students):
- Andrea Traina
- Angela Nagel
- Keith DelMonte
- Mindy Lull
- Jennifer Mathews
- Amy Parkhill
From L to R: Traina, Nagel, DelMonte, Lull, Mathews, Parkhill.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rosenberry Leads Effort on Citizen-Centered Journalism Research Initiative
- Fisher Alumna Shares “10 Body Language Habits of Successful People”
- Lavery Library Receives Grant from Rochester Regional Library Council
- Fisher Grad Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium