Fisher Digital Publications Gaining Popularity Worldwide
In October of 2012, Fisher’s Lavery Library launched Fisher Digital Publications, an online archive of original scholarly and creative work done by faculty, staff, and students. To date, the site features almost 800 papers and there have been over 17,000 downloads from around the world.
According to Melissa Jadlos, Director of Lavery Library, the site had 3,059 full-text downloads and 107 new submissions posted in August alone. She also said the staff worked through the summer to post master’s theses and doctoral dissertations completed by alumni of the College. Jadlos also said that Fisher Digital Publications gives authors’ work a wider audience and gives students the ability to link to their work in graduate school and job applications.
“Authors can use the URL in their résumés, and get real world experience with publishing and copyright,” she said. “An Ed.D. student was amazed when her dissertation popped up in a Google alert she had set up for new research on her topic!”
The collections on the site are categorized by Faculty/Staff Scholarship, Student Scholarship, Conferences, Exhibitions and Events, and Journals. In addition, the site features a “Paper of the Day,” and keeps robust readership analytics.
Last month, the most popular papers included:
- “The Inequality of Sport: Women < Men” – an undergraduate project written by Valerie Hanson in 2012 (119 downloads)
- “Petit paw lave yon Bo, Kite yon bo” – an undergraduate project written by Mike Maether in 2009 (82 downloads)
- “The Effect of Arm Dominance on Specimen Integrity When Sampling Blood from IV Catheters” – a Master’s Thesis by Jay M. Andross in 2010 (77 downloads)
Submitted work must be: original, produced, and submitted by a faculty, staff, student, organization, or department of the College; creative, scholarly in nature, research-oriented, or of institutional significance; and the author must own the copyright to all components within the work, or have written permission to have material available on the site; among other guidelines.
Initial funding for Fisher Digital Publications was provided by the Wegmans School of Nursing through an Advanced Education Grant provided by the U. S. Health Resources and Services Administration.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year