Fisher Digital Publications Gaining Popularity Worldwide
In October of 2012, Fisher’s Lavery Library launched Fisher Digital Publications, an online archive of original scholarly and creative work done by faculty, staff, and students. To date, the site features almost 800 papers and there have been over 17,000 downloads from around the world.
According to Melissa Jadlos, Director of Lavery Library, the site had 3,059 full-text downloads and 107 new submissions posted in August alone. She also said the staff worked through the summer to post master’s theses and doctoral dissertations completed by alumni of the College. Jadlos also said that Fisher Digital Publications gives authors’ work a wider audience and gives students the ability to link to their work in graduate school and job applications.
“Authors can use the URL in their résumés, and get real world experience with publishing and copyright,” she said. “An Ed.D. student was amazed when her dissertation popped up in a Google alert she had set up for new research on her topic!”
The collections on the site are categorized by Faculty/Staff Scholarship, Student Scholarship, Conferences, Exhibitions and Events, and Journals. In addition, the site features a “Paper of the Day,” and keeps robust readership analytics.
Last month, the most popular papers included:
- “The Inequality of Sport: Women < Men” – an undergraduate project written by Valerie Hanson in 2012 (119 downloads)
- “Petit paw lave yon Bo, Kite yon bo” – an undergraduate project written by Mike Maether in 2009 (82 downloads)
- “The Effect of Arm Dominance on Specimen Integrity When Sampling Blood from IV Catheters” – a Master’s Thesis by Jay M. Andross in 2010 (77 downloads)
Submitted work must be: original, produced, and submitted by a faculty, staff, student, organization, or department of the College; creative, scholarly in nature, research-oriented, or of institutional significance; and the author must own the copyright to all components within the work, or have written permission to have material available on the site; among other guidelines.
Initial funding for Fisher Digital Publications was provided by the Wegmans School of Nursing through an Advanced Education Grant provided by the U. S. Health Resources and Services Administration.
Latest College News Stories
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students
- Students Explore Biology Research at Natural History Conference
- Day of Service, Awards Ceremony Cap-Off Academic Year for Pharmacy School
- Class of 2015 Graduates Named to ‘Who’s Who’
- Tim Madigan’s Article on Marshall McLuhan Included in New Book
- From Fisher to the White House, Student Dines with President Obama
- Alum, Media and Communication Professor Collaborate on Video Production Course Project
- Showcases Held throughout April Spotlight Student Work
- Sport Management Banquet Honors Students and Alumni
- Jack Palvino Award Honors Two Students
- New Members Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma
- Networking Event Connects Students, Tax Pros
- Six Honored during Staff Recognition Awards
- Women’s Leadership Committee Kicks-Off First Event
- Bio Students Present Research