Fisher Digital Publications Gaining Popularity Worldwide
In October of 2012, Fisher’s Lavery Library launched Fisher Digital Publications, an online archive of original scholarly and creative work done by faculty, staff, and students. To date, the site features almost 800 papers and there have been over 17,000 downloads from around the world.
According to Melissa Jadlos, Director of Lavery Library, the site had 3,059 full-text downloads and 107 new submissions posted in August alone. She also said the staff worked through the summer to post master’s theses and doctoral dissertations completed by alumni of the College. Jadlos also said that Fisher Digital Publications gives authors’ work a wider audience and gives students the ability to link to their work in graduate school and job applications.
“Authors can use the URL in their résumés, and get real world experience with publishing and copyright,” she said. “An Ed.D. student was amazed when her dissertation popped up in a Google alert she had set up for new research on her topic!”
The collections on the site are categorized by Faculty/Staff Scholarship, Student Scholarship, Conferences, Exhibitions and Events, and Journals. In addition, the site features a “Paper of the Day,” and keeps robust readership analytics.
Last month, the most popular papers included:
- “The Inequality of Sport: Women < Men” – an undergraduate project written by Valerie Hanson in 2012 (119 downloads)
- “Petit paw lave yon Bo, Kite yon bo” – an undergraduate project written by Mike Maether in 2009 (82 downloads)
- “The Effect of Arm Dominance on Specimen Integrity When Sampling Blood from IV Catheters” – a Master’s Thesis by Jay M. Andross in 2010 (77 downloads)
Submitted work must be: original, produced, and submitted by a faculty, staff, student, organization, or department of the College; creative, scholarly in nature, research-oriented, or of institutional significance; and the author must own the copyright to all components within the work, or have written permission to have material available on the site; among other guidelines.
Initial funding for Fisher Digital Publications was provided by the Wegmans School of Nursing through an Advanced Education Grant provided by the U. S. Health Resources and Services Administration.
Latest College News Stories
- Salerno Visits Graduate Class
- O'Connor Ermi Surpasses 100 Career Wins
- Education Students Benefit from Partnership with Greece School District
- Fisher Ranks 6th for Best College Campus in New York State
- Recent Biology Graduates to Publish Work
- Green Speaks at Joint Mathematics Meetings
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo