Madigan Presents at Harvard University
On April 27, Dr. Timothy Madigan, Associate Professor of Philosophy, served as a presenter at a conference on Public Intellectuals at the Graduate School of Education at Harvard University.
The conference was organized by Lawrence J. Friedman, a professor in Harvard's Mind/Brain/Behavior Initiative. Madigan's topic was, “The Medium and the Message: Marshall McLuhan in the CyberAge.”
McLuhan (1911-1980), best known for his comment that “the medium is the message,” is often considered to be a prophet of the information age. While he died just before the computer era, his theories on communication and mass media remain both provocative and relevant. McLuhan, as a faculty member at St. Michael's College of the University of Toronto, was well acquainted with the members of the Congregation of St. Basil. He often jokingly called himself “the Civilian Basilian.”
McLuhan was active in helping to found the College's Communication/Journalism Department, and often came to campus to give talks and meet with the faculty and students. In 1969, he gave the commencement address, sharing the stage with the then Bishop of Rochester, Fulton J. Sheen. In his presentation, Madigan discussed the relevance of this unexpected connection, and the ways in which McLuhan's theories on communication are even more pertinent to the era of Facebook and YouTube than to his own time.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference