Honors Program to Celebrate United Nations Day October 24
The St. John Fisher College Honors Program and the United Nations (UN) Chapter of Rochester will host Ambassador Ashok Kumar Mukerji, Permanent Representative to the UN, in commemoration of United Nations Day on Wednesday, October 24. Ambassador Mukerji will present, “Back to Business: World Trade and the Developing World,” in Basil 135 at 7:00 p.m.
Ambassador Mukerji is responsible for India’s multilateral diplomacy at the UN. He has specialized in India’s strategic/security policy, and led India’s cyber dialogs with the United States, United Kingdom, European Union, Japan, and Russia. In addition, he is the author of several articles on trade policy and the World Trade Organization, and many books about the postal history of Dubai, Mahatma Gandhi in London, and the first Indian soldiers in Europe during World War I.
United Nations Day, which was first declared in 1947 by the United Nations General Assembly, is devoted to increasing awareness about the UN’s aims and achievements. In 1971, the General Assembly recommended that member states observe it as a public holiday. It is a day that is celebrated as part of United Nations Week, which runs October 20-26.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Accounting Professor Selected for Third Fulbright
- Lavery Librarians Win Audience Award at Fast Pitch Competition
- Share Your Family Recipes with the Fisher Cookbook
- Mental Health Counseling Program Earns Grant to Fund New Training Program
- Fall Athletes Achieve Historic Seasons for Fisher
- Stress Free Week Activities Help Ease Finals Frenzy
- Grant Gives Media Arts Lab an Interactive Makeover
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors