Honors Program to Celebrate United Nations Day October 24
The St. John Fisher College Honors Program and the United Nations (UN) Chapter of Rochester will host Ambassador Ashok Kumar Mukerji, Permanent Representative to the UN, in commemoration of United Nations Day on Wednesday, October 24. Ambassador Mukerji will present, “Back to Business: World Trade and the Developing World,” in Basil 135 at 7:00 p.m.
Ambassador Mukerji is responsible for India’s multilateral diplomacy at the UN. He has specialized in India’s strategic/security policy, and led India’s cyber dialogs with the United States, United Kingdom, European Union, Japan, and Russia. In addition, he is the author of several articles on trade policy and the World Trade Organization, and many books about the postal history of Dubai, Mahatma Gandhi in London, and the first Indian soldiers in Europe during World War I.
United Nations Day, which was first declared in 1947 by the United Nations General Assembly, is devoted to increasing awareness about the UN’s aims and achievements. In 1971, the General Assembly recommended that member states observe it as a public holiday. It is a day that is celebrated as part of United Nations Week, which runs October 20-26.
Latest College News Stories
- Irish Studies Program Hosts Galway Reception
- 2013 Day of Celebration Honors Egyptian Culture
- Breakfast at Fisher with Santa
- College Debuts New TV Commercials
- Rice Elected to American Studies Association Committee
- Faculty Recognized for Grants
- 2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
- Job Named Nurse Practitioner Student of the Year
- Student Entrepreneurs Mean Business
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico