St. John Fisher College Receives $200,000 for New Learning Commons in Lavery Library
St. John Fisher College has received a $200,000 grant from the Booth Ferris Foundation that will be used to construct a new Learning Commons in Lavery Library.
A joint effort led by the College's library, Office of Information Technology, and Academic Affairs Department, the Learning Commons will serve as a one-stop-shop for learning, writing, research, pedagogy, and technology support for the Fisher community. Approximately 3,000 square feet, the Learning Commons will be located in the main floor of the library.
"This grant will enable us to create a central learning space where students, faculty, and staff will have access to resources and assistance to learn new skills and work collaboratively on many types of projects," said Melissa Jadlos, Director, St. John Fisher College Lavery Library.
Fisher students currently have access to the tutoring services of the Math and Writing Centers on campus, but according to Jadlos, the Learning Commons takes that support system to a new level by centralizing services at the library.
The new space will allow for more informal work and social interaction among students, faculty, and staff. Workstations, print stations, and a training room are some of the features, and a variety of support services will be offered for both undergraduate and graduate students. Programs will include workshops on exam preparation, digital literacy, effective group work, critical reading skills, research methodologies, and presentation skills. Students will also have access to one-on-one consultation for computing support, math and writing assistance, and research assistance.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference