St. John Fisher College Receives $200,000 for New Learning Commons in Lavery Library
St. John Fisher College has received a $200,000 grant from the Booth Ferris Foundation that will be used to construct a new Learning Commons in Lavery Library.
A joint effort led by the College's library, Office of Information Technology, and Academic Affairs Department, the Learning Commons will serve as a one-stop-shop for learning, writing, research, pedagogy, and technology support for the Fisher community. Approximately 3,000 square feet, the Learning Commons will be located in the main floor of the library.
"This grant will enable us to create a central learning space where students, faculty, and staff will have access to resources and assistance to learn new skills and work collaboratively on many types of projects," said Melissa Jadlos, Director, St. John Fisher College Lavery Library.
Fisher students currently have access to the tutoring services of the Math and Writing Centers on campus, but according to Jadlos, the Learning Commons takes that support system to a new level by centralizing services at the library.
The new space will allow for more informal work and social interaction among students, faculty, and staff. Workstations, print stations, and a training room are some of the features, and a variety of support services will be offered for both undergraduate and graduate students. Programs will include workshops on exam preparation, digital literacy, effective group work, critical reading skills, research methodologies, and presentation skills. Students will also have access to one-on-one consultation for computing support, math and writing assistance, and research assistance.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher