St. John Fisher College Receives $200,000 for New Learning Commons in Lavery Library
St. John Fisher College has received a $200,000 grant from the Booth Ferris Foundation that will be used to construct a new Learning Commons in Lavery Library.
A joint effort led by the College's library, Office of Information Technology, and Academic Affairs Department, the Learning Commons will serve as a one-stop-shop for learning, writing, research, pedagogy, and technology support for the Fisher community. Approximately 3,000 square feet, the Learning Commons will be located in the main floor of the library.
"This grant will enable us to create a central learning space where students, faculty, and staff will have access to resources and assistance to learn new skills and work collaboratively on many types of projects," said Melissa Jadlos, Director, St. John Fisher College Lavery Library.
Fisher students currently have access to the tutoring services of the Math and Writing Centers on campus, but according to Jadlos, the Learning Commons takes that support system to a new level by centralizing services at the library.
The new space will allow for more informal work and social interaction among students, faculty, and staff. Workstations, print stations, and a training room are some of the features, and a variety of support services will be offered for both undergraduate and graduate students. Programs will include workshops on exam preparation, digital literacy, effective group work, critical reading skills, research methodologies, and presentation skills. Students will also have access to one-on-one consultation for computing support, math and writing assistance, and research assistance.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video