Final First Friday Lecture to Focus on Obamacare
On Friday, April 5, Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing, and Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, will be the featured speakers for the final First Friday Lecture of the semester. Their presentation is entitled, “Transforming Health Care Education in Response to the Affordable Health Care Act.” The lecture will take place in Basil Hall, Room 135, at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel, followed by a breakfast.
In 2014, the Affordable Health Care Act will bring much change to health care as we know it. In anticipation of the change, the Wegmans School of Nursing is reworking the curriculum at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The Wegmans School of Pharmacy sees opportunities for the industry, and is also changing the way in which students are educated in order to meet the new demands. The Deans’ Roundtable lecture will provide an overview of the Affordable Health Care Act and other related initiatives, including the Institute of Medicine’s Future of Nursing Report, the Quality and Safety Education in Nursing Report, and the College’s Prime Care Nursing Center at St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center. Attendees will also hear more about what St. John Fisher College is doing to prepare the health care professionals of the future.
In addition to her role as dean, Cooney Miner teaches in the undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs at Fisher. Her professional career includes practice in acute and critical care, nursing education, and administration. She is the past president of the New York State Council of Deans of Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Programs, and currently serves as a site evaluator for the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. In addition, she is an extended member of the New York State Board for Nursing, founding member of the New York State Nursing Workforce Institute and the New York State Committee to Advance Nursing Education (CANE), and a member of the Health Care Association of New York (HANYS) Nursing Coalition. She is a 2012 Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing.
Swigart’s academic pharmacy experience spans over 30 years, including more than 20 years as a chair and dean in several institutions, including Palm Beach Atlantic University, Palm Beach, FL; Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; and Ferris State University College of Pharmacy, Big Rapids, MI. In addition, he has conducted research, received grant funding, published, and has served on and/or chaired many school and college-wide committees. He has the experience and qualifications for understanding the profession of pharmacy, and the needs of academic pharmacy including teaching, practice, and scholarship.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program