Dr. Whitney Rapp Presents "The Desegregation of Our Schools: What We've Done and What We've Left Undone" for First Friday Lecture
Dr. Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Special Education in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education at St. John Fisher College, will present on Friday, December 4, as part of the College's First Friday Faculty Lecture Series. Her lecture, "The Desegregation of Our Schools: What We've Done and What We've Left Undone," begins at 10 a.m. in Basil 135 on the Fisher campus. The event is free and open to the public.
Dr. Rapp's presentation will discuss how the legal mandates throughout the history of education have moved schools away from segregation and toward inclusion. Through landmark court cases and federal legislation, we have witnessed the impact of the letter of the law on desegregation by race and ability. However, the full impact of the spirit of the law has yet to be seen. In the context of the disability rights movement, Dr. Rapp's lecture covers the history of special education, where we are now in terms of an inclusive society, and where we need to go from here.
Dr. Rapp received her Ph.D. in special education from Michigan State University and has since focused her research on differentiation of instruction and alternative service delivery models for all learners, primarily those with "invisible" neurologically-based disorders. As a parent of three children, one of whom is classified with a disability, Dr. Rapp brings both professional and personal perspectives to her work in preparing future teachers.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series takes place on the first Fridays of October through December during the fall semester and February through April in the spring semester. The lectures are designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of current topics from members of the St. John Fisher College faculty.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Ave./Fairport Road.
For more information about the lecture series or to register for the December 4 event, please contact Tiffany Carnevale at (585) 385-8354 or email@example.com.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Fisher Students Blogging—and Bragging—About Campus Life
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download