Dr. Whitney Rapp Presents "The Desegregation of Our Schools: What We've Done and What We've Left Undone" for First Friday Lecture
Dr. Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Special Education in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education at St. John Fisher College, will present on Friday, December 4, as part of the College's First Friday Faculty Lecture Series. Her lecture, "The Desegregation of Our Schools: What We've Done and What We've Left Undone," begins at 10 a.m. in Basil 135 on the Fisher campus. The event is free and open to the public.
Dr. Rapp's presentation will discuss how the legal mandates throughout the history of education have moved schools away from segregation and toward inclusion. Through landmark court cases and federal legislation, we have witnessed the impact of the letter of the law on desegregation by race and ability. However, the full impact of the spirit of the law has yet to be seen. In the context of the disability rights movement, Dr. Rapp's lecture covers the history of special education, where we are now in terms of an inclusive society, and where we need to go from here.
Dr. Rapp received her Ph.D. in special education from Michigan State University and has since focused her research on differentiation of instruction and alternative service delivery models for all learners, primarily those with "invisible" neurologically-based disorders. As a parent of three children, one of whom is classified with a disability, Dr. Rapp brings both professional and personal perspectives to her work in preparing future teachers.
The First Friday Faculty Lecture Series takes place on the first Fridays of October through December during the fall semester and February through April in the spring semester. The lectures are designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of current topics from members of the St. John Fisher College faculty.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Ave./Fairport Road.
For more information about the lecture series or to register for the December 4 event, please contact Tiffany Carnevale at (585) 385-8354 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards