Kollar Authors Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools
Professor Emeritus Nathan Kollar, Department of Religious Studies, has written a book titled Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education. The book, released in July 2009, is published by Greenwood Publishing Group.
Kollar's book shows how and why public schools should prepare to understand and deal with religious diversity in the United States and world. The Constitution's cornerstone principle of separating church and state dictates that American public schools stay away from advocating any religious in their curriculum. Yet leaving students ignorant of different faiths altogether is an open invitation to just the kind of insensitivity, intolerance, and bigotry schools should counteract. While avoiding specific religious instruction, schools must figure out the best ways to teach about religion.
Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education makes a powerful case for exposing students to the multiplicity of faiths practiced in the United States and around the world--then offers a range of practical solutions for promoting religious understanding and tolerance in the school environment.
Kollar is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester. He is also Co-Founder and Chair of the Board of the Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue at Nazareth College.
Latest College News Stories
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic
- "Smash the Scale" on National Love Your Body Day
- From Dancing Shoes to Running Shoes: Teddi Trot Coming October 25
- “Lisa Kindel, You Are An Ironman!”
- Fisher Named to 2015 Military Friendly Schools List
- College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
- Nursing Students, Faculty Participate in Out of the Darkness Walk