Kollar Authors Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools
Professor Emeritus Nathan Kollar, Department of Religious Studies, has written a book titled Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education. The book, released in July 2009, is published by Greenwood Publishing Group.
Kollar's book shows how and why public schools should prepare to understand and deal with religious diversity in the United States and world. The Constitution's cornerstone principle of separating church and state dictates that American public schools stay away from advocating any religious in their curriculum. Yet leaving students ignorant of different faiths altogether is an open invitation to just the kind of insensitivity, intolerance, and bigotry schools should counteract. While avoiding specific religious instruction, schools must figure out the best ways to teach about religion.
Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education makes a powerful case for exposing students to the multiplicity of faiths practiced in the United States and around the world--then offers a range of practical solutions for promoting religious understanding and tolerance in the school environment.
Kollar is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester. He is also Co-Founder and Chair of the Board of the Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue at Nazareth College.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes