Kollar Authors Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools
Professor Emeritus Nathan Kollar, Department of Religious Studies, has written a book titled Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education. The book, released in July 2009, is published by Greenwood Publishing Group.
Kollar's book shows how and why public schools should prepare to understand and deal with religious diversity in the United States and world. The Constitution's cornerstone principle of separating church and state dictates that American public schools stay away from advocating any religious in their curriculum. Yet leaving students ignorant of different faiths altogether is an open invitation to just the kind of insensitivity, intolerance, and bigotry schools should counteract. While avoiding specific religious instruction, schools must figure out the best ways to teach about religion.
Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education makes a powerful case for exposing students to the multiplicity of faiths practiced in the United States and around the world--then offers a range of practical solutions for promoting religious understanding and tolerance in the school environment.
Kollar is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester. He is also Co-Founder and Chair of the Board of the Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue at Nazareth College.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International