Kollar Authors Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools
Professor Emeritus Nathan Kollar, Department of Religious Studies, has written a book titled Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education. The book, released in July 2009, is published by Greenwood Publishing Group.
Kollar's book shows how and why public schools should prepare to understand and deal with religious diversity in the United States and world. The Constitution's cornerstone principle of separating church and state dictates that American public schools stay away from advocating any religious in their curriculum. Yet leaving students ignorant of different faiths altogether is an open invitation to just the kind of insensitivity, intolerance, and bigotry schools should counteract. While avoiding specific religious instruction, schools must figure out the best ways to teach about religion.
Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education makes a powerful case for exposing students to the multiplicity of faiths practiced in the United States and around the world--then offers a range of practical solutions for promoting religious understanding and tolerance in the school environment.
Kollar is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester. He is also Co-Founder and Chair of the Board of the Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue at Nazareth College.
Latest College News Stories
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation