Kollar Authors Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools
Professor Emeritus Nathan Kollar, Department of Religious Studies, has written a book titled Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education. The book, released in July 2009, is published by Greenwood Publishing Group.
Kollar's book shows how and why public schools should prepare to understand and deal with religious diversity in the United States and world. The Constitution's cornerstone principle of separating church and state dictates that American public schools stay away from advocating any religious in their curriculum. Yet leaving students ignorant of different faiths altogether is an open invitation to just the kind of insensitivity, intolerance, and bigotry schools should counteract. While avoiding specific religious instruction, schools must figure out the best ways to teach about religion.
Defending Religious Diversity in Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Building Our Democracy and Deepening Our Education makes a powerful case for exposing students to the multiplicity of faiths practiced in the United States and around the world--then offers a range of practical solutions for promoting religious understanding and tolerance in the school environment.
Kollar is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester. He is also Co-Founder and Chair of the Board of the Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue at Nazareth College.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year