St. John Fisher College Collects 6,959 Books for Liberia
In November, St. John Fisher College collected 6,959 books for the ONE Campaign. The books will be donated to the Liberian Literacy Foundation, which ships books to Liberia to give to children and the literacy center.
The book drive was part of the ONE Campus Challenge, in which St. John Fisher College competes on an ongoing basis. Every year, ONE hosts the friendly competition to determine which university's student body has the most effective global poverty-fighting campaign. College students work together--with others on their campus and across the country--to learn about global poverty and preventable disease, and to achieve change on behalf of the world's poorest people through advocacy, action, and awareness-raising. During the school year, students earn points and recognition for their schools by participating in different actions and monthly challenges.
Each month, there is a different theme and challenge for the schools to complete. The November theme was education, and the book drive was the challenge. The schools that accumulate the most points in monthly challenges and throughout the season are eligible for prizes and national recognition.
For its efforts during the book drive, St. John Fisher College earned 349,950 points toward its total. Please visit the ONE Campus Challenge website to view the current standings.
For more information about Fisher's involvement in the ONE Campus Challenge, please contact Jackie Maynard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONE is a grassroots campaign and advocacy organization backed by more than 2 million people who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. Cofounded by Bono and other campaigners, ONE is nonpartisan and works closely with African policy makers and activists. For more information, visit www.one.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program