St. John Fisher College Collects 6,959 Books for Liberia
In November, St. John Fisher College collected 6,959 books for the ONE Campaign. The books will be donated to the Liberian Literacy Foundation, which ships books to Liberia to give to children and the literacy center.
The book drive was part of the ONE Campus Challenge, in which St. John Fisher College competes on an ongoing basis. Every year, ONE hosts the friendly competition to determine which university's student body has the most effective global poverty-fighting campaign. College students work together--with others on their campus and across the country--to learn about global poverty and preventable disease, and to achieve change on behalf of the world's poorest people through advocacy, action, and awareness-raising. During the school year, students earn points and recognition for their schools by participating in different actions and monthly challenges.
Each month, there is a different theme and challenge for the schools to complete. The November theme was education, and the book drive was the challenge. The schools that accumulate the most points in monthly challenges and throughout the season are eligible for prizes and national recognition.
For its efforts during the book drive, St. John Fisher College earned 349,950 points toward its total. Please visit the ONE Campus Challenge website to view the current standings.
For more information about Fisher's involvement in the ONE Campus Challenge, please contact Jackie Maynard at email@example.com.
ONE is a grassroots campaign and advocacy organization backed by more than 2 million people who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. Cofounded by Bono and other campaigners, ONE is nonpartisan and works closely with African policy makers and activists. For more information, visit www.one.org.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Employees Recognized for Milestone Service Years
- Women’s Basketball Team Hosts Toy Drive during Crosstown Basketball Tournament
- College to Host 17th Annual Day of Celebration
- National Conference Offers Fisher Students Chance to Network with PR Pros
- Business Students Find Success at BGS Summit
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Senator Rich Funke, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Launch Safe Medication Disposal Campaign
- For Fifth Consecutive Year, Students Take First in Regional Tax Competition