St. John Fisher College Collects 6,959 Books for Liberia
In November, St. John Fisher College collected 6,959 books for the ONE Campaign. The books will be donated to the Liberian Literacy Foundation, which ships books to Liberia to give to children and the literacy center.
The book drive was part of the ONE Campus Challenge, in which St. John Fisher College competes on an ongoing basis. Every year, ONE hosts the friendly competition to determine which university's student body has the most effective global poverty-fighting campaign. College students work together--with others on their campus and across the country--to learn about global poverty and preventable disease, and to achieve change on behalf of the world's poorest people through advocacy, action, and awareness-raising. During the school year, students earn points and recognition for their schools by participating in different actions and monthly challenges.
Each month, there is a different theme and challenge for the schools to complete. The November theme was education, and the book drive was the challenge. The schools that accumulate the most points in monthly challenges and throughout the season are eligible for prizes and national recognition.
For its efforts during the book drive, St. John Fisher College earned 349,950 points toward its total. Please visit the ONE Campus Challenge website to view the current standings.
For more information about Fisher's involvement in the ONE Campus Challenge, please contact Jackie Maynard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONE is a grassroots campaign and advocacy organization backed by more than 2 million people who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. Cofounded by Bono and other campaigners, ONE is nonpartisan and works closely with African policy makers and activists. For more information, visit www.one.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic
- "Smash the Scale" on National Love Your Body Day
- From Dancing Shoes to Running Shoes: Teddi Trot Coming October 25
- “Lisa Kindel, You Are An Ironman!”
- Fisher Named to 2015 Military Friendly Schools List
- College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
- Nursing Students, Faculty Participate in Out of the Darkness Walk