Hunger Banquet, Other Four Freedoms Week Events Well Attended
On November 1, the annual Hunger Banquet once again spread awareness about worldwide hunger.
Participants were given a random ticket placing them in one of three socio-economic classes — poor, middle class, or elite — and were assigned to tables based on their class. Those who were part of the elite class sat on the stage and enjoyed a catered meal including bread, salad, entrée, dessert, sparkling juice, and water. The middle class participants sat at tables and were served rice, beans, and water. And the poor sat on the floor and were given rice and water only.
Donations collected at the Hunger Banquet.
The program kicked off with a video clip entitled “Hunger in America,” followed by a presentation from a representative of Foodlink. The program included a presentation by Loraine Ngarambe, a junior Political Science major, who reviewed a case study focused on college-aged students facing poverty. The students had an opportunity to sign volunteer sheets from the two Rochester organizations represented at the program that included IBERO.
On Saturday, November 3, students, alumni, and staff concluded the celebration of Four Freedoms Week by volunteering at Foodlink, Inc. A total of 850 bags were packed for the Backpack Program, which serves the Rochester City School District and surrounding counties in New York State. Some of the items packed in the bags included milk, cereal, apple sauce, raisins, ravioli, spaghetti, granola bars, and apple juice. The Fisher team also spent time assisting the organization’s Food Pantry Program by packing apples and bags of potatoes.
Fisher group at Foodlink.
Overall, despite Hurricane Sandy and numerous program cancellations, 147 participants celebrated the events during Four Freedoms Week.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes