Hunger Banquet, Other Four Freedoms Week Events Well Attended
On November 1, the annual Hunger Banquet once again spread awareness about worldwide hunger.
Participants were given a random ticket placing them in one of three socio-economic classes — poor, middle class, or elite — and were assigned to tables based on their class. Those who were part of the elite class sat on the stage and enjoyed a catered meal including bread, salad, entrée, dessert, sparkling juice, and water. The middle class participants sat at tables and were served rice, beans, and water. And the poor sat on the floor and were given rice and water only.
Donations collected at the Hunger Banquet.
The program kicked off with a video clip entitled “Hunger in America,” followed by a presentation from a representative of Foodlink. The program included a presentation by Loraine Ngarambe, a junior Political Science major, who reviewed a case study focused on college-aged students facing poverty. The students had an opportunity to sign volunteer sheets from the two Rochester organizations represented at the program that included IBERO.
On Saturday, November 3, students, alumni, and staff concluded the celebration of Four Freedoms Week by volunteering at Foodlink, Inc. A total of 850 bags were packed for the Backpack Program, which serves the Rochester City School District and surrounding counties in New York State. Some of the items packed in the bags included milk, cereal, apple sauce, raisins, ravioli, spaghetti, granola bars, and apple juice. The Fisher team also spent time assisting the organization’s Food Pantry Program by packing apples and bags of potatoes.
Fisher group at Foodlink.
Overall, despite Hurricane Sandy and numerous program cancellations, 147 participants celebrated the events during Four Freedoms Week.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- College Renovates Park & Ride; Adds 120 Parking Spots
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference