Hunger Banquet, Other Four Freedoms Week Events Well Attended
On November 1, the annual Hunger Banquet once again spread awareness about worldwide hunger.
Participants were given a random ticket placing them in one of three socio-economic classes — poor, middle class, or elite — and were assigned to tables based on their class. Those who were part of the elite class sat on the stage and enjoyed a catered meal including bread, salad, entrée, dessert, sparkling juice, and water. The middle class participants sat at tables and were served rice, beans, and water. And the poor sat on the floor and were given rice and water only.
Donations collected at the Hunger Banquet.
The program kicked off with a video clip entitled “Hunger in America,” followed by a presentation from a representative of Foodlink. The program included a presentation by Loraine Ngarambe, a junior Political Science major, who reviewed a case study focused on college-aged students facing poverty. The students had an opportunity to sign volunteer sheets from the two Rochester organizations represented at the program that included IBERO.
On Saturday, November 3, students, alumni, and staff concluded the celebration of Four Freedoms Week by volunteering at Foodlink, Inc. A total of 850 bags were packed for the Backpack Program, which serves the Rochester City School District and surrounding counties in New York State. Some of the items packed in the bags included milk, cereal, apple sauce, raisins, ravioli, spaghetti, granola bars, and apple juice. The Fisher team also spent time assisting the organization’s Food Pantry Program by packing apples and bags of potatoes.
Fisher group at Foodlink.
Overall, despite Hurricane Sandy and numerous program cancellations, 147 participants celebrated the events during Four Freedoms Week.
Latest College News Stories
- On “The Verge” – Students Concept Binge-Watching TV Experience, Premiere May 1
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards