Miller Smith Selected to Participate in National Endowment for the Humanities Institute
Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies, has been selected to participate as a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Summer Scholar and will attend a federally funded three-week institute at the University of Kansas (KU) focused on African-American poetry. She will join 24 college and university teachers from across the nation for the institute beginning July 14.
“Don’t Deny My Voice: Reading and Teaching African American Poetry” will run through August 3, and is part of a 15-month program funded by a NEH grant to KU’s Project on the History of Black Writing.
Maryemma Graham, University Distinguished Professor of English at KU, directs the institute, which is a collaboration with the Furious Flower Poetry Center of James Madison University, directed by Joanne Gabbin.
Miller Smith will join colleagues from institutions including the University of Kentucky, Hampton University, Albany State University, Mount Mercy University, Salisbury University, Boise State University, Howard University, Arizona State University, and the University of Texas, to name a few.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement