Mathematics Professor Receives Award from Mathematical Association of America
Dr. Mark McKinzie, Associate Professor in the Mathematics Department, received The Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award from the Mathematical Association of America.
The annual award recognizes authors of articles of expository excellence published in The American Mathematical Monthly. McKinzie won for his article, “Another Way to Sum a Series: Generating Functions, Euler and the Dilog Function,” in the January 2012 issue. The article was co-authored by Dan Kalman from American University.
In the article, McKinzie and Kalman present a little known proof of Leonhard Euler, the famed 18th century mathematician, and try to determine whether Euler knew of this argument by examining similar ideas in his writings and correspondence.
Originally known as the Ford Award, the Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award was established in 1964, and was named for distinguished mathematician Lester R. Ford. In addition to serving as editor of The American Mathematical Monthly, Ford was the former President of the Mathematical Association of America. In 2012, the name was changed to honor the award support provided by the Halmost family and Paul R. Halmost, another distinguished mathematician and American Mathematical Monthly editor.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Three at School of Education Complete Crisis Intervention Certification Program