Mathematics Professor Receives Award from Mathematical Association of America
Dr. Mark McKinzie, Associate Professor in the Mathematics Department, received The Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award from the Mathematical Association of America.
The annual award recognizes authors of articles of expository excellence published in The American Mathematical Monthly. McKinzie won for his article, “Another Way to Sum a Series: Generating Functions, Euler and the Dilog Function,” in the January 2012 issue. The article was co-authored by Dan Kalman from American University.
In the article, McKinzie and Kalman present a little known proof of Leonhard Euler, the famed 18th century mathematician, and try to determine whether Euler knew of this argument by examining similar ideas in his writings and correspondence.
Originally known as the Ford Award, the Paul R. Halmos – Lester R. Ford Award was established in 1964, and was named for distinguished mathematician Lester R. Ford. In addition to serving as editor of The American Mathematical Monthly, Ford was the former President of the Mathematical Association of America. In 2012, the name was changed to honor the award support provided by the Halmost family and Paul R. Halmost, another distinguished mathematician and American Mathematical Monthly editor.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans