Fisher Hosts Robotics Competition
Over the weekend, St. John Fisher College co-sponsored and hosted the 2013-2014 Finger Lakes New York FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC) Qualifying Tournament bringing 160 middle and high school students from across the state to campus ready to compete.
FTC® is a global robotics program that intends to spark an interest and enthusiasm for science, technology, and discovery, teaching STEM skills along with leadership and teamwork. The competition is designed for students in grades 7-12 to compete head to head, using a sports model. The teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming robots to compete in an alliance format against other teams.
Teams from schools across the state including districts in Hornell, New Hartford, Henrietta, Clayton, Palmyra, Williamson, Bergen, Strongsville, Corning, Buffalo, Bloomfield, Binghamton, Lockport, Mexico, Churchville, Lansing, and Rochester came ready to build and compete.
Teams used the morning to brainstorm and build their robots, and competed in the afternoon. An awards ceremony concluded the event.
Dr. Barney Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education, served as the Event Coordinator.
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 by inventor Dean Kamen to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, FIRST® is supported by sponsors and volunteers. Besides the FIRST® Tech Challenge, the organization also provides the FIRST® Robotics Competition (for grades 9-12), the FIRST® Lego League (for grades 4-8), and Junior FIRST® Lego League (for grades K-3).
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- October First Friday Lecture Explores Evolving Nature of Science Education
- Center for Youth Honors Fisher’s Rick DeJesús-Rueff
- Optics and Extraterrestrials the Focus of Oct. 13 Loss Lecture
- Fisher Wins Courage Bowl XI in Double Overtime
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Martin Mucci Named Inaugural Influential Leader from AACSB
- Dialogues Explore Issues of Race, Equity, and Justice