Sarachan Publishes in Journal
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Media and Communication, has had an article published in the December 2013 issue of Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds.
“Exploring the Online Playground: Understanding Motivation in Children’s Virtual Worlds” focuses on Sarachan’s research which included interviews and observations of children ages 6-11 in order to better understand whether children behave in the virtual spaces according to the expectations established by the rules or play on their own terms.
Through his research, Sarachan found that students tend to focus on those aspects of the world that align with their own desired style of play, despite a focus on virtual wealth accumulation and limits established by the space to encourage adults to purchase memberships for their children. In addition, the children often preferred more creative play not easily found in these spaces, and the article discusses alternative virtual spaces that provide children with greater cognitive challenges.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner