Sarachan Publishes in Journal
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Media and Communication, has had an article published in the December 2013 issue of Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds.
“Exploring the Online Playground: Understanding Motivation in Children’s Virtual Worlds” focuses on Sarachan’s research which included interviews and observations of children ages 6-11 in order to better understand whether children behave in the virtual spaces according to the expectations established by the rules or play on their own terms.
Through his research, Sarachan found that students tend to focus on those aspects of the world that align with their own desired style of play, despite a focus on virtual wealth accumulation and limits established by the space to encourage adults to purchase memberships for their children. In addition, the children often preferred more creative play not easily found in these spaces, and the article discusses alternative virtual spaces that provide children with greater cognitive challenges.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes