Sarachan Publishes in Journal
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Media and Communication, has had an article published in the December 2013 issue of Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds.
“Exploring the Online Playground: Understanding Motivation in Children’s Virtual Worlds” focuses on Sarachan’s research which included interviews and observations of children ages 6-11 in order to better understand whether children behave in the virtual spaces according to the expectations established by the rules or play on their own terms.
Through his research, Sarachan found that students tend to focus on those aspects of the world that align with their own desired style of play, despite a focus on virtual wealth accumulation and limits established by the space to encourage adults to purchase memberships for their children. In addition, the children often preferred more creative play not easily found in these spaces, and the article discusses alternative virtual spaces that provide children with greater cognitive challenges.
Latest College News Stories
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students
- Students Explore Biology Research at Natural History Conference
- Day of Service, Awards Ceremony Cap-Off Academic Year for Pharmacy School
- Class of 2015 Graduates Named to ‘Who’s Who’
- Tim Madigan’s Article on Marshall McLuhan Included in New Book
- From Fisher to the White House, Student Dines with President Obama
- Alum, Media and Communication Professor Collaborate on Video Production Course Project
- Showcases Held throughout April Spotlight Student Work
- Sport Management Banquet Honors Students and Alumni
- Jack Palvino Award Honors Two Students
- New Members Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma
- Networking Event Connects Students, Tax Pros
- Six Honored during Staff Recognition Awards
- Women’s Leadership Committee Kicks-Off First Event
- Bio Students Present Research