OIT and Wegmans School of Pharmacy Publish Case Study
One of the last classes students in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy (WSoP) take before they begin their rotations in real patient care settings involves the students being videotaped performing patient care activities in a simulated environment. The idea is that students will improve their proficiency and communication skills before interacting with the public.
The simulations take place in study rooms equipped with video technology that is monitored by the Office of Technology’s (OIT) Media Application Specialist, Matthew Miller, and Assistant Professor and Laboratory Experience Coordinator, Anthony Corigliano, along with other WSoP administrative staff.
The technology that was being used started to become outdated. So in 2010, Miller, Corigliano, and a team from OIT began looking for a way to upgrade. They spent the next year searching for new technologies and in 2011, Ensemble Video, a video content management and publishing platform, was installed to the campus servers.
In January of this year, Miller and Corigliano’s work since the installation in 2011 with Ensemble was published to the Ensemble website as a case study.
Ensemble allows administrative assistants to hit “record all” at the start but stop each recording individually. Corigliano can provide faculty with a link to a grading rubric for the course through Blackboard from Ensemble.
Ensemble also features spreadsheets in PDFs, PowerPoint documents, and zip file images. According to Miller and Corigliano, the faculty have been extremely pleased with the decision to switch to Ensemble. They can access the videos immediately from almost anywhere and they can provide the students with feedback quickly.
Miller also said the students feel better about the security of Ensemble. Previously, a DVD could be passed around to anyone and they could see their peers’ work. Students now have to login to the Ensemble system and can only see their work.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year