OIT and Wegmans School of Pharmacy Publish Case Study
One of the last classes students in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy (WSoP) take before they begin their rotations in real patient care settings involves the students being videotaped performing patient care activities in a simulated environment. The idea is that students will improve their proficiency and communication skills before interacting with the public.
The simulations take place in study rooms equipped with video technology that is monitored by the Office of Technology’s (OIT) Media Application Specialist, Matthew Miller, and Assistant Professor and Laboratory Experience Coordinator, Anthony Corigliano, along with other WSoP administrative staff.
The technology that was being used started to become outdated. So in 2010, Miller, Corigliano, and a team from OIT began looking for a way to upgrade. They spent the next year searching for new technologies and in 2011, Ensemble Video, a video content management and publishing platform, was installed to the campus servers.
In January of this year, Miller and Corigliano’s work since the installation in 2011 with Ensemble was published to the Ensemble website as a case study.
Ensemble allows administrative assistants to hit “record all” at the start but stop each recording individually. Corigliano can provide faculty with a link to a grading rubric for the course through Blackboard from Ensemble.
Ensemble also features spreadsheets in PDFs, PowerPoint documents, and zip file images. According to Miller and Corigliano, the faculty have been extremely pleased with the decision to switch to Ensemble. They can access the videos immediately from almost anywhere and they can provide the students with feedback quickly.
Miller also said the students feel better about the security of Ensemble. Previously, a DVD could be passed around to anyone and they could see their peers’ work. Students now have to login to the Ensemble system and can only see their work.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems