University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) Holds Classes on Campus
Over 100 9th grade students from the University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) took their high school classes on the St. John Fisher College campus for three weeks in May and June, an initiative organized each year by Dr. Marie Cianca, Assistant Professor in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education.
Classes took place in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, and included intensive instruction for two Regents courses, Algebra and Living Environment. Dr. Rick DeJesús-Rueff, Vice President of Student Affairs and Diversity Initiatives, welcomed the young men and encouraged them to “aim high and lead the way.”
Students commented on how they liked the way they were able to focus more carefully on their lessons while on campus. Others mentioned that they seemed to be able to concentrate better on a college campus, especially in classrooms with air conditioning. Several students said that they appreciated the opportunity to get more individualized attention from their teachers, and many were also excited about the opportunity to take tours of the campus and meet with the College’s student ambassadors.
Cianca is a founding board member of UPREP, and worked on the initial idea with the School of Education Dean’s Office; Dr. Michael Robinson, a fellow board member; and the principal of the school, Joseph Munno.
“We had the idea to bring UPREP’s 9th graders to a college campus to see if we could strengthen their motivation for Regents exams and emphasize the importance of success in high school. The idea took off last year, with 82% of 9th graders passing Regents Algebra and 89% passing Regents Living Environment exams,” said Cianca.
The Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Office of Student Affairs and Diversity Programs, Office of Freshman Admissions, and the Events Department also supported the initiative.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam
- A Voice for the Community: Pharmacy Professor Serves on Advisory Board for Global HIV Vaccine Study
- Crews Install Cross on Kearney Hall Spire
- Buffalo Bills Announce Ticket Distribution Information for 2016 Training Camp
- Bob Ward to be Inducted into Red Wings Walk of Fame
- St. John Fisher College a “Great College to Work For”
- Fisher Breaks Ground on New Chapel
- Lavery Library Photos on Display at Museum of African American History