University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) Holds Classes on Campus
Over 100 9th grade students from the University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) took their high school classes on the St. John Fisher College campus for three weeks in May and June, an initiative organized each year by Dr. Marie Cianca, Assistant Professor in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education.
Classes took place in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, and included intensive instruction for two Regents courses, Algebra and Living Environment. Dr. Rick DeJesús-Rueff, Vice President of Student Affairs and Diversity Initiatives, welcomed the young men and encouraged them to “aim high and lead the way.”
Students commented on how they liked the way they were able to focus more carefully on their lessons while on campus. Others mentioned that they seemed to be able to concentrate better on a college campus, especially in classrooms with air conditioning. Several students said that they appreciated the opportunity to get more individualized attention from their teachers, and many were also excited about the opportunity to take tours of the campus and meet with the College’s student ambassadors.
Cianca is a founding board member of UPREP, and worked on the initial idea with the School of Education Dean’s Office; Dr. Michael Robinson, a fellow board member; and the principal of the school, Joseph Munno.
“We had the idea to bring UPREP’s 9th graders to a college campus to see if we could strengthen their motivation for Regents exams and emphasize the importance of success in high school. The idea took off last year, with 82% of 9th graders passing Regents Algebra and 89% passing Regents Living Environment exams,” said Cianca.
The Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Office of Student Affairs and Diversity Programs, Office of Freshman Admissions, and the Events Department also supported the initiative.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant