University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) Holds Classes on Campus
Over 100 9th grade students from the University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) took their high school classes on the St. John Fisher College campus for three weeks in May and June, an initiative organized each year by Dr. Marie Cianca, Assistant Professor in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education.
Classes took place in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, and included intensive instruction for two Regents courses, Algebra and Living Environment. Dr. Rick DeJesús-Rueff, Vice President of Student Affairs and Diversity Initiatives, welcomed the young men and encouraged them to “aim high and lead the way.”
Students commented on how they liked the way they were able to focus more carefully on their lessons while on campus. Others mentioned that they seemed to be able to concentrate better on a college campus, especially in classrooms with air conditioning. Several students said that they appreciated the opportunity to get more individualized attention from their teachers, and many were also excited about the opportunity to take tours of the campus and meet with the College’s student ambassadors.
Cianca is a founding board member of UPREP, and worked on the initial idea with the School of Education Dean’s Office; Dr. Michael Robinson, a fellow board member; and the principal of the school, Joseph Munno.
“We had the idea to bring UPREP’s 9th graders to a college campus to see if we could strengthen their motivation for Regents exams and emphasize the importance of success in high school. The idea took off last year, with 82% of 9th graders passing Regents Algebra and 89% passing Regents Living Environment exams,” said Cianca.
The Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Office of Student Affairs and Diversity Programs, Office of Freshman Admissions, and the Events Department also supported the initiative.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
- TriBeta Students Present Work at National Convention
- Alumnus Honors Two Basilian Fathers Through Classroom Dedication
- College Bound Program Holds Graduation Ceremony
- Fisher’s United Way Co-Chairs Named “Shining Stars”