University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) Holds Classes on Campus
Over 100 9th grade students from the University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) took their high school classes on the St. John Fisher College campus for three weeks in May and June, an initiative organized each year by Dr. Marie Cianca, Assistant Professor in the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education.
Classes took place in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, and included intensive instruction for two Regents courses, Algebra and Living Environment. Dr. Rick DeJesús-Rueff, Vice President of Student Affairs and Diversity Initiatives, welcomed the young men and encouraged them to “aim high and lead the way.”
Students commented on how they liked the way they were able to focus more carefully on their lessons while on campus. Others mentioned that they seemed to be able to concentrate better on a college campus, especially in classrooms with air conditioning. Several students said that they appreciated the opportunity to get more individualized attention from their teachers, and many were also excited about the opportunity to take tours of the campus and meet with the College’s student ambassadors.
Cianca is a founding board member of UPREP, and worked on the initial idea with the School of Education Dean’s Office; Dr. Michael Robinson, a fellow board member; and the principal of the school, Joseph Munno.
“We had the idea to bring UPREP’s 9th graders to a college campus to see if we could strengthen their motivation for Regents exams and emphasize the importance of success in high school. The idea took off last year, with 82% of 9th graders passing Regents Algebra and 89% passing Regents Living Environment exams,” said Cianca.
The Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Office of Student Affairs and Diversity Programs, Office of Freshman Admissions, and the Events Department also supported the initiative.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes