Chemistry Professor Presents at University of Puerto Rico
Dr. Kermin Martínez-Hernandéz, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, presented at the University of Puerto Rico in Arecibo on Friday, November 9.
His workshop entitled, “Developing Undergraduate Students in STEM Research,” presented new research strategies in hopes of sparking students’ interest in STEM research at the University. A total of 34 people attended, including eight faculty members and 26 students from the Departments of Physics/Chemistry and Mathematics.
The interactive workshop allowed participants to learn about the development of possible investigations using constructivist strategies such as authentic research and Problem-Based Learning (PBL). Students and professors collaboratively went through the inquiry process of developing a tentative investigation based on real-world problems in the surrounding areas of Arecibo. They analyzed lead contamination in milk, soil, and air due to a recycling battery plant;possible incinerator plant environmental impact; water extraction from Tiburones wetland; and residual water treatment – all issues affecting Arecibo.
“The students recognized that when an investigation is based on a real-world problem from which they are affected, they will be more motivated and will successfully develop the investigation because it is something that they can identify with,” reflected Martínez-Hernandéz. “On the other hand, the professors realized that they should be flexible in the areas of the investigations that students choose to work with, and they should become a facilitator of the research process.”
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes