Junior Biology Major Recognized with Golden Giver Award
Alicia Vann, a junior Biology major from Fulton, recently received the “Golden Giver” Award from WROC-Channel 8 in Rochester. She was featured during the evening newscast on October 15 for her volunteerism and compassion for the elderly.
President of the Biology Club at Fisher and Teddi Committee member, Vann started volunteering at the Friendly Home last year and spent time each week visiting with residents and helping with different activities. She started to think more about careers in geriatrics, and has since decided to pursue her doctorate in physical therapy.
“While I was working at the Friendly Home, I was meeting with the same woman each week,” said Vann. “She would have chocolate for me and we would play Scrabble – I always enjoyed seeing her on Fridays after my last class. It was a great way to end the week.”
Sadly, while Vann was away on spring break last semester, the woman passed away. “But I will never forget her smile, her stories, or her kind nature,” said Vann.
Vann says the close relationship she had with her grandmother is her main driver and inspiration.
“When she passed away while I was in high school, I really wanted to keep working with people in the same age group,” she said.
Vann was nominated by her close friend and fellow student Michelle Townsend for the award. In the nomination, Townsend says, “Alicia Vann is such an incredible giver. She wakes up early before her classes to tutor younger students in biology, and she is always willing to help anyone with anything. She is an amazing person and does nothing but help others and expects nothing in return. She has definitely changed my way of thinking towards volunteering and I know she has influenced others in a positive way.”
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards