Junior Biology Major Recognized with Golden Giver Award
Alicia Vann, a junior Biology major from Fulton, recently received the “Golden Giver” Award from WROC-Channel 8 in Rochester. She was featured during the evening newscast on October 15 for her volunteerism and compassion for the elderly.
President of the Biology Club at Fisher and Teddi Committee member, Vann started volunteering at the Friendly Home last year and spent time each week visiting with residents and helping with different activities. She started to think more about careers in geriatrics, and has since decided to pursue her doctorate in physical therapy.
“While I was working at the Friendly Home, I was meeting with the same woman each week,” said Vann. “She would have chocolate for me and we would play Scrabble – I always enjoyed seeing her on Fridays after my last class. It was a great way to end the week.”
Sadly, while Vann was away on spring break last semester, the woman passed away. “But I will never forget her smile, her stories, or her kind nature,” said Vann.
Vann says the close relationship she had with her grandmother is her main driver and inspiration.
“When she passed away while I was in high school, I really wanted to keep working with people in the same age group,” she said.
Vann was nominated by her close friend and fellow student Michelle Townsend for the award. In the nomination, Townsend says, “Alicia Vann is such an incredible giver. She wakes up early before her classes to tutor younger students in biology, and she is always willing to help anyone with anything. She is an amazing person and does nothing but help others and expects nothing in return. She has definitely changed my way of thinking towards volunteering and I know she has influenced others in a positive way.”
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain