Award-Winning Poet Gray Jacobik to Visit Campus
On Thursday, March 21, award-winning poet Gray Jacobik will be at St. John Fisher College for an evening of poetry as part of the Fr. John Cavanaugh Reading Series. She will read a selection of her poems in the Wilson Formal Lounge at 7:30 p.m., followed by a book signing.
Jacobik is an American poet whose poems and essays have appeared in literary magazines, journals, and several anthologies. She is the winner of the Yeats Prize and the Emily Dickinson Prize. In 2009, her poem, “The Skeptic's Prayer," won the Third Coast Poetry Prize. She received the Juniper Prize for The Double Task, which was also nominated for the James Laughlin Award and the Poet's Prize. The Surface of Last Scattering was selected by X. J. Kennedy as the winner of the X. J. Kennedy Poetry Prize. Her book, Brave Disguises, received the AWP Poetry Series Award.
Her work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize more than 20 times, most recently in 2009 (for "Oysters" Southern Women's Review). In 2002, she was the Robert Frost Poet in Residence at The Frost Place. For several years, as a professor of literature, she taught at Eastern Connecticut State University, and from 2003 until 2009, she taught on the faculty of the Stonecoast MFA Program. Little Boy Blue: A Memoir in Verse is her most recent collection, published by CavanKerryPress.
The reading is sponsored by the English Department.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher