Award-Winning Poet Gray Jacobik to Visit Campus
On Thursday, March 21, award-winning poet Gray Jacobik will be at St. John Fisher College for an evening of poetry as part of the Fr. John Cavanaugh Reading Series. She will read a selection of her poems in the Wilson Formal Lounge at 7:30 p.m., followed by a book signing.
Jacobik is an American poet whose poems and essays have appeared in literary magazines, journals, and several anthologies. She is the winner of the Yeats Prize and the Emily Dickinson Prize. In 2009, her poem, “The Skeptic's Prayer," won the Third Coast Poetry Prize. She received the Juniper Prize for The Double Task, which was also nominated for the James Laughlin Award and the Poet's Prize. The Surface of Last Scattering was selected by X. J. Kennedy as the winner of the X. J. Kennedy Poetry Prize. Her book, Brave Disguises, received the AWP Poetry Series Award.
Her work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize more than 20 times, most recently in 2009 (for "Oysters" Southern Women's Review). In 2002, she was the Robert Frost Poet in Residence at The Frost Place. For several years, as a professor of literature, she taught at Eastern Connecticut State University, and from 2003 until 2009, she taught on the faculty of the Stonecoast MFA Program. Little Boy Blue: A Memoir in Verse is her most recent collection, published by CavanKerryPress.
The reading is sponsored by the English Department.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video