Award-Winning Poet Gray Jacobik to Visit Campus
On Thursday, March 21, award-winning poet Gray Jacobik will be at St. John Fisher College for an evening of poetry as part of the Fr. John Cavanaugh Reading Series. She will read a selection of her poems in the Wilson Formal Lounge at 7:30 p.m., followed by a book signing.
Jacobik is an American poet whose poems and essays have appeared in literary magazines, journals, and several anthologies. She is the winner of the Yeats Prize and the Emily Dickinson Prize. In 2009, her poem, “The Skeptic's Prayer," won the Third Coast Poetry Prize. She received the Juniper Prize for The Double Task, which was also nominated for the James Laughlin Award and the Poet's Prize. The Surface of Last Scattering was selected by X. J. Kennedy as the winner of the X. J. Kennedy Poetry Prize. Her book, Brave Disguises, received the AWP Poetry Series Award.
Her work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize more than 20 times, most recently in 2009 (for "Oysters" Southern Women's Review). In 2002, she was the Robert Frost Poet in Residence at The Frost Place. For several years, as a professor of literature, she taught at Eastern Connecticut State University, and from 2003 until 2009, she taught on the faculty of the Stonecoast MFA Program. Little Boy Blue: A Memoir in Verse is her most recent collection, published by CavanKerryPress.
The reading is sponsored by the English Department.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards
- Fisher Scholarship Celebration Showcases Works by Students, Faculty, and Staff
- 13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
- Senior Wins Poetry Competition
- Student Athletes Participate in Giant Read
- Countdown to Commencement - Sara Perrone
- Lazzara and Mullen Win Jack Palvino Excellence in Communications Scholarship
- Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 60th Commencement
- Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner
- Community Benefits from 2014 Project Community Convergence