Fisher Entrepreneurship Team Wins in State Semifinal Competition
Just Dangle Hockey, a student-run hockey apparel company, recently won the regional title in the New York State Business Plan Competition. This marks the first time a Fisher entrepreneurial team won the competition.
Just Dangle Founder Matt Keeler, and business partner, Nathan Woods, have been working over the past year to prepare for the competition. They are both business students.
They presented their company and plan along with 31 other student groups from the Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Rochester, Finger Lakes Community College, State University of New York at Geneseo, State University of New York at Brockport, Genesee Community College, Keuka College, and Monroe Community College. The team competed in the product and services category and was selected as a finalist to present in the statewide competition in Albany later this month.
According to the team’s coach, Dr. Mary Kay Copeland, Assistant Professor in the School of Business, the judges seemed particularly impressed with the Just Dangle Hockey brand, their extensive social media following, celebrity endorsements, and growth potential.
“Doing a presentation in front of established entrepreneurs such as Lauren Dixon from Dixon Schwabl, Jose Coronas from the Trillium Group, and Kevin Halpin from Delta Point Capital can be daunting, but the students made a compelling case for the strength of their venture,” added Copeland.
Another Fisher entrepreneur Ryan Bilak, of Maker Marketing Group, an internet marketing company, was also a semifinalist and made an outstanding pitch, according to Copeland.
The School of Business formed a group of entrepreneurial mentors to help foster the growth of student businesses. The group includes Ray Shady, Visiting Assistant Professor; Bob Spinelli, Adjunct Faculty; Dr. David Kunsch, Assistant Professor; Laurel Parrilli, Visiting Instructor; Dr. David Martin, Dean; and Copeland.
Students from any discipline interested in entrepreneurship or participating in next year’s competition should contact Copeland at email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Salerno Visits Graduate Class
- O'Connor Ermi Surpasses 100 Career Wins
- Education Students Benefit from Partnership with Greece School District
- Fisher Ranks 6th for Best College Campus in New York State
- Recent Biology Graduates to Publish Work
- Green Speaks at Joint Mathematics Meetings
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo