They "Survived Sashi"
Students have been spotted around campus wearing new apparel that sports a certain professor’s face. The “I Survived Sashi” t-shirts, created by the College’s American Marketing Association (AMA) chapter in honor of Dr. Hemant Sashittal, Professor and Chair of the Department of Management/Marketing, have been selling faster than coffee at Cyber Café.
Alison Taylor, President of the AMA chapter, said the idea came about during one of Dr. Monica Hodis’s classes.
“Students claimed they had already ‘survived Sashi.’ Dr. Hodis brought the idea to the club, and we decided to turn it into a t-shirt,” said Taylor.
Jessica Zepp, a senior business student and AMA member, designed the t-shirt — a design approved with two thumbs up by “Sashi” himself.
“I warned them, ‘I have a face for radio; no one is going to buy a t-shirt with my mug shot,’” joked Sashittal.
The t-shirts come in white, hot pink, and neon yellow. Short sleeve t-shirts are $12 each, or two for $20, and long sleeve shirts are $15. As an extra perk, Sashittal will sign shirts for those students who received an “A” in his class.
Taylor, a Sashi survivor herself, said his class was terrifying, but in the end, beneficial.
“I found the class intimidating, but I also took the most out of that class and I believe I will apply it in a future marketing job. The research process he teaches us allows us to implement skills from Statistics, MSTI 130, writing classes, and marketing classes all into one, and the class made me think way outside of the box,” she said.
Sashittal said he feels lucky to get talented students in his classroom year after year at Fisher.
“When they are pushed hard – and I do push them hard – they rise up to the challenge and do something fantastic. The honor is all mine,” he said.
T-shirt sales take place in the Salerno Center lobby on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30-8:00 p.m., and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The chapter sells the shirts at its new “Fuel for Thought” snack table. All proceeds will be put towards the chapter’s trip to the AMA International Collegiate Conference in April 2014.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair