St. John Fisher College and Nazareth College Libraries Team Up on Digitization Project for Rochester Regional Library Council
St. John Fisher College’s Lavery Library and Nazareth College’s Lorette Wilmot Library recently teamed up to fund the digitization of the Catholic Courier, the newspaper of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester, for the Rochester Regional Library Council. The digitization work was done by the Northern New York Library Network.
According to Melissa Jadlos, Lavery Library Director, there were approximately 89 reels of microfilm to digitize that spanned from 1899-2004; 2004 was the year the Courier began publishing a digital edition.
Jadlos initiated the project after a member of the Rochester community expressed concern because she was unable to physically go to the library to use the microfilm, and was asking for online access to the publication.
“The digitized version of the Catholic Courier is a wonderful regional resource for many religious and social justice issues,” said Jadlos. “We were pleased to join forces with Nazareth College to make these documents available to the general public.”
The project was approved by Bishop Matthew Clark and the Diocese of Rochester and fully funded by the two colleges.
"The Catholic Courier chronicles an important part of the history of Rochester. Its digitization will allow much wider access to the greater community,” said Catherine Doyle, Director, Lorette Wilmot Library. “We are excited that our partnership with St. John Fisher College and the Rochester Regional Library Council will add to the growing online collection of local history."
According to Kathy Miller, Executive Director, Rochester Regional Library Council, the Courier is one of the most complete records the council has, with 115 years of content that is full-text searchable online.
“Providing free access to information is what libraries are all about, so we were delighted when the libraries at St. John Fisher College and Nazareth College approached us with this project. We are very grateful to both colleges, and to the Catholic Diocese of Rochester, for making this possible,” said Miller.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Young Camper to be Remembered at Teddi Dance
- Teddi Committee Hosts “Very Beary Brunch”