Student Government Association Recognizes Parking Issues, Aims to Inform Students
The Student Government Association (SGA) is on a mission to inform students about ways to alleviate some of their stress related to parking on campus, and is working with the campus community on the issue.
More light was shed during the “Ask the President” Facebook Forum, hosted by the College on September 26, as more than 32 comments about parking were posted in the forum.
“The SGA sees this student input as incredibly valuable, and realizes that parking is an issue on campus. We are constantly monitoring and assessing the matter. The weekly Senate meetings held on Thursdays during free period in the COP Conference Room are often filled with discussions on the topic,” said the SGA in a prepared statement.
The association is encouraging students to be proactive in planning for their daily travel, and to consider the benefits and rationale of parking in the outer lots, which are offered for commuters and residents.
One SGA representative commented, “One thing that is not going to help the situation get any better is when you have students parking in the wrong lots.” They went on to explain that these situations only make students, who are registered for those lots, frustrated and spread general animosity with regards to parking.
As a follow-up to the forum, SGA released this list of facts about parking at Fisher.
Clarifying Facts about St. John Fisher College Parking:
- The college added 104 parking spots to the Murphy Hall parking lots during the summer of 2012.
- There are sufficient spaces for the anticipated number of registered cars on campus at any given time.
- Overflow parking lots should not be forgotten. These lots include Park and Ride, Murphy Hall, and the Alesi Academic Center.
- The walk from Park and Ride to LeChase Commons and the academic corridor averages between 10 and 15 minutes.
- No spaces for faculty/staff parking in Lot A (in front of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy and the Skalny Science Center) were added for the 2012-2013 school year.
- The campus shuttle is on a schedule (available on-line at http://www.sjfc.edu/dotAsset/97269.pdf). SGA will be further investigating complaints about the timing and delays to this schedule. Any further issues with the shuttle should be referred to Safety and Security or SGA.
- In compliance with local ordinances and code requirements imposed by the Town of Pittsford and New York State, the construction of a parking garage and the addition of a crosswalk by the Alesi building are not feasible at this time.
Latest College News Stories
- 2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
- Job Named Nurse Practitioner Student of the Year
- Student Entrepreneurs Mean Business
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
- Education Faculty Co-Present at International Conference
- “Team Scott” Supports Dean’s Fight
- Fisher Makes “Best Colleges for Veterans” List
- Fisher Earns At-Large Bid to NCAA Championship
- College Dedicates Pellicano Pavilion
- Beta Gamma Sigma Co-Liaison Attends Student Leadership Forum