Club Column - Fisher Ski Association, Muslim Student Association
This week’s Club Column features the Fisher Ski Association and Muslim Student Association.
Fisher Ski Association (FSA)
Q: How many members does the FSA have?
A: The Fisher Ski Association has 30 members.
Q: How often does the FSA meet as a group? And where does the association ski?
A: The FSA meets about once a month for informational meetings and to distribute tickets. The association offers passes for students to ski at Bristol Mountain.
Q: What are some of the biggest events the FSA is involved in every year?
A: Every year, the group plans a big trip to a resort on the east coast. Last year, the FSA took about 25 students to Killington, Vermont. This year, the group is planning a trip to Whiteface Mountain over spring break.
Q: How does the entire student body benefit from the FSA’s efforts?
A: Students are offered discounted tickets, and the trips allow students to meet new people and make lasting friendships at Fisher through common interests.
Q: What else does the FSA have planned for this year?
A: T-shirt sale – stay tuned for details!
Q: How can people contact the association?
A: Email is best: FisherSkiAssociation@sjfc.edu.
Members of the Fisher Ski Association during the group's 2012 trip to Killington.
Muslim Student Association
Q: What exactly does the Muslim Student Association do? How many members does the association have?
A: The Muslim Student Association (MSA) is an organization that strives to facilitate networking, educating, and empowering the students of today to be citizens of tomorrow’s community. To achieve those objectives, MSA organizes social and service events and programs annually. In the past, MSA has organized events such as Henna Fest, Refugee Volunteering, and the Fast-a-Thon Dinner. In addition, MSA develops tools and resources to facilitate information sharing and unite students with groups on and off campus. The MSA is a growing club with 11 members.
Q: How often does MSA meet as a group?
A: MSA meets every Friday. If there is a big event coming up, they meet more often.
Q: What are some of the biggest events the MSA is involved in every year?
A: The MSA always provides a henna station and club information at involvement fest, and are also regulars at the Day of Celebration. In addition to these events, the MSA enjoys putting on its own social and service events. This year, MSA will be joining Relay for Life with a club booth and club team.
Q: How does the entire student body benefit from your work?
A: MSA events allow the association to contribute to campus diversity by sharing its form of spirituality, ethnic cuisine, and different Muslim cultures with students and staff. MSA’s events are always huge successes with attendees from on and off campus. Through those events, which have included Arabic verse recitations, cultural art displays, and religious-inspired decorations, students gain an encompassing view of Islam. The interactive components of the programs give students a chance to have questions and misconceptions about Islam cleared.
Q: What else does MSA have planned for this year?
A: The association will be organizing retreats for members, inter-MSA events with area MSAs, participating in Relay for Life, participating in interfaith events with students from Fisher, RIT, and U of R, and hosting a final event on campus for the Fisher community before the end of the year.
Q: How can people contact MSA for more information?
A: Via email: MuslimStudentAssociation@sjfc.edu
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program