Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
The Wegmans School of Nursing held its hooding ceremony on Thursday, May 9, and honored nine graduates with special awards.
Award winners included:
Scholarly Achievement Award (Nurse Educator) – Presented to the graduate student with the highest GPA in the Nurse Educator program.
Recipient: Melissa Bourne
Scholarly Achievement Award (Family Nurse Practitioner) –Presented to the graduate student with the highest GPA in the FNP program.
Recipient: Kari Silver
Nurse Educator Award – Given to a Nurse Educator graduate student who nominated by the faculty and best exemplifies the Nurse Educator role.
Recipient: Melissa Bourne
Family Nurse Practitioner Award – Recipient is nominated by the faculty and presented to the student who best exemplifies the Family Nurse Practitioner role.
Recipient: Caitlin Tirabassi
Kastberg Scholarly Achievement Award –Given to a graduating student who has achieved academic distinction throughout his/her coursework in the Mental Health Counseling Program, and who has additionally demonstrated a high level of counseling skill development. The award is name after Dr. Signe Kastberg, former Director of the Mental Health Counseling Program, who provided outstanding leadership in the early days of the program, guiding it to receive a full eight years of national accreditation in 2008.
Recipient: Rebecca Cogan
Bufano Counselor Excellence Award – Named in honor of Douglas Bufano, the first clinical director of the Mental Health Counseling program, and a continuing contributor as an adjunct faculty member, group facilitator, and intern supervisor. Dr. Bufano’s contributions to mental health services in the Rochester community are widely recognized. The recipient(s) of this award nominated by their peers and demonstrate:
- Leadership in the Mental Health Counseling Program as evidenced by active contributions such as student representation; extracurricular activities; meeting with (or providing information to) prospective students, faculty, staff; and related activities.
- Supportive, encouraging, and constructive feedback to colleagues/classmates.
- Personal and professional growth throughout the course of study and field work.
- Participation in professional counseling organizations.
- Potential for excellence as a professional counselor as evidenced through mastery of the knowledge base necessary in the field, and also by modeling these personal qualities- flexibility, respect for others, receptivity to feedback, capacity to listen and attend, appropriate self-disclosure, reliability/teamwork, genuineness, empathy, integrity, commitment to excellence, sense of humor, and ability to balance multiple life tasks.
Recipients: Laura Evans and Anne Hope
Academic Excellence Award (Doctor of Nursing Practice) – Given to the DNP student who has the highest GPA throughout the entire DNP Program.
Recipient: Kristin Elizabeth Smith
Clinical Practice Scholarship Award (Doctor of Nursing Practice) – The recipient of the Clinical Practice Scholarship Award is selected by the faculty. The awardee is chosen for the best Clinical Practice Project which is the cornerstone of DNP education. It reflects the tenets of the Essentials of Doctoral Education in Nursing Practice as determined by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Recipient: Evelyn Ouellette
Latest College News Stories
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant