Pharmacy Faculty and Students Purchase a Gift That Keeps on Giving
Before the Christmas holiday, Wegmans School of Pharmacy faculty and students raised funds to purchase the gift of food for families in India through the World Vision Organization, a Christian relief, development, and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Dr. Christine Birnie, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, has a sponsor child through World Vision. During a mission trip to India several years ago, Birnie spent extra time there to meet with her sponsor child.
Birnie was so impressed with the organization that she brought the idea of working with World Vision to campus three years ago. It started off as a project with her Medical Missions class, as part of the class’ mission is to embrace the idea of helping people in underserved populations and developing nations around the world. She said her students in the Medical Missions class have such a great time with the project every year that she extends it to her P1 students.
There are several ways individuals can help the organization. This year, the group raised a total of $700 to purchase a cow, goat, and 10 chickens for families in need. The cow was given to a young mother and her children, and will provide them with milk. The goat and chickens were given to a family, who will use the goat’s milk to make yogurt and cheese and the chicken’s eggs to prepare nutritious meals.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain