Pharmacy Faculty and Students Purchase a Gift That Keeps on Giving
Before the Christmas holiday, Wegmans School of Pharmacy faculty and students raised funds to purchase the gift of food for families in India through the World Vision Organization, a Christian relief, development, and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Dr. Christine Birnie, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, has a sponsor child through World Vision. During a mission trip to India several years ago, Birnie spent extra time there to meet with her sponsor child.
Birnie was so impressed with the organization that she brought the idea of working with World Vision to campus three years ago. It started off as a project with her Medical Missions class, as part of the class’ mission is to embrace the idea of helping people in underserved populations and developing nations around the world. She said her students in the Medical Missions class have such a great time with the project every year that she extends it to her P1 students.
There are several ways individuals can help the organization. This year, the group raised a total of $700 to purchase a cow, goat, and 10 chickens for families in need. The cow was given to a young mother and her children, and will provide them with milk. The goat and chickens were given to a family, who will use the goat’s milk to make yogurt and cheese and the chicken’s eggs to prepare nutritious meals.
Latest College News Stories
- Lavigne Participates in Two Conferences
- Recent Grad Reaches Semi-Finals of Peace First Competition
- Smith Named Academy of Nursing Education Fellow
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation Grant
- University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men (UPREP) Holds Classes on Campus
- St. John Fisher College Annual Golf Tournament Raises $139,000
- Fisher Accounting Storms Europe
- Fisher Hosts a “Rochester Irish Gathering”
- College of New Rochelle Ed.D. Cohort Treated to Inspirational Guest Speaker
- Alumni Recognized at 2013 Financial Executive of the Year Awards
- English Club Donates Books to School No. 19
- Education Faculty Produce Documentary with East High School Students
- Fisher Takes on the 2013 Corporate Challenge
- School of Education Hosts Professional Development Schools Celebration Dinner
- Lavery’s Price Selected for Online Innovation Explorers Community