St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
St. John Fisher College became home to more than just the Buffalo Bills this weekend, as the College kicked off its 7th Annual College Bound program hosting 35 area high school students for an intensive five-day residential program designed to help them discover their academic and career interests.
The program is designed for soon-to-be high school seniors who are academically qualified, low-income students and are the first in their families that plan to attend college. In order to be considered for the program, students must be nominated by a school official, and meet specific academic and financial criteria.
Throughout the program, admissions counselors from various colleges and universities will work with these students to discover their interests and explore potential career options; enable them to develop a consideration set of colleges and determine what aspects of college are most important to them; and help the students understand the admissions application process, including completing an application, admissions interviews, and the college essay. The students will also have the opportunity to experience other college campuses in the Rochester area.
Additionally, as part of the overall program, the students will attend a follow-up workshop during their senior year of high school.
Students attend College Bound for free, and the program is supported in part by M&T Bank; the Fred & Floy Willmott Foundation; and the Ames-Amzalak Memorial Trust, in memory of Henry Ames, Semon Amzalak, and Dan Amzalak.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative